Did I screw something up? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Life's 2 short 2 keep it stock

Wiki Edits: 0

Did I screw something up?

I read that post on break in oils... I broke my motor in with 20W50 Syntec blend. I wonder if it screwed anything up?? I'm hoping it will be okay and it only had about 200 miles on it before it went to the body shop/storage this winter. Also I didn't run it above 2,000 rpm for a half hour like the card recommended. It was more like 10 mins, then 15 minutes of idling at about 1500, then break in drive. I'm keeping it under 3500 until after 500 miles. It was only after I had a friend fire it up(that supposedly knew what he was doing) did I later find that cam card that told me to run it at a half hour above 2,000. I'll be pissed if I wiped out that new cam Maybe that part synthetic oil saved it. Should I switch oils then go back to syntec later? I was going to change it at 500 miles. Looks like you guys recommend changing sooner. It ran good.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If something was wrong you'd know by now. The only problem you would run into would be clogging the oil pump, the break in you described isn't perfect but I'm sure it did the job just fine. Some people don't break them in at all and get away with it, your motor is fine, I'm sure.

BTW, you sure you need 20-50?

K
Old 03-11-2004, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

the cam would have been noticeably bad by now if it was going to go bad, syn oil just doesn't let the metal wear into its self like it should, such as the rings and lifters and such. id switch it back out and run reg oil for first few thousand miles. id also do what the cam card says again with the new oil just in case. cheaper that way.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

From your post, if I read it correctly, you didn`t change your oil after the break in, always change the oil immediately after the break in, if you leave the oil in for 500 miles, then the particles of the break in and the loose grit get right past the filter since the bypass kicks in at around 17 psi, and the particles make there way to the bearings chewing them up, already seen this in one case of a rebuild I did for a friend of mine, he neglected to change the oil, and well, the rest is already known. when you go back to basic oil, I would run it again for 15 minutes alternating it at 1800 to 2000 RPM`s, just to be sure the cam broke in properly, synthetic oil could have caused it not to set a wear pattern, even so it may have already have, it`s still cheap insurance, better safe than sorry.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:22 AM

I would think that you may not have hurt anything but I would recommend getting the synthetic out of there and go back to a conventional oil. By the way, is 20W-50 what your engine builder recommended? That seems pretty heavy for a break in unless it has really "fat" bearing clearances.

Anyhow, that break in oil should be out after the first half-hour of running time at approx 2000 RPM.

Just as a side note, a while back on my own truck engine, I put synthetic in right after the half-hour break-in procedure and I did have some ring sealing issues. It went away after switching back to regular oil. That was an experiment that did not go well but it was mine. I don't recommend synthetic till you hit around 2000 miles or so.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Life's 2 short 2 keep it stock

When I bought the thing all the guy ran was mobil1 15W50 supposedly. Upon changing the cam I inspected the bearings, which were shot from what looks like running it low on oil/hard/improper break in. It only had 5,000 miles on it so I kept the rings since they were in excellent shape. Everything else was redone: cam, bearings, headwork ect. I figured I'd buy myself some extra protection with 20W50 part synthetic and its cheaper than mobil 1. Its a mid 70's 350 +.030. Should I run a different oil? Its only run in the summer and warm weather so I figured it'd be okay. Also it was a tight motor as far as clearances, .015 on the plastigauge the whole way around. I also need to take off that FRAM filter!! Found out not too long ago they are crap and wix/napa filters are best. What should I finish break in with? Just a normal HD30W or something lighter?
Old 03-12-2004, 04:50 PM

I'm not a believer in thick oils at all. I run all my engines on 5w30 and 0w30. Assuming your clearances are reasonably tight just use a 30 weight and go back till convertional till after the break in
Old 03-15-2004, 04:14 PM

A motor that tight should really run no more than a 10W-30 oil.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:11 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Agreed, 10W30. Esspecially with that cold Ohio weather.

Mike

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.