Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Did a search and still have questions. Door Panel help please -pics inside-
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2004, 08:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Door Panels

For my car I stripped all the fabric off the doors and fastened them to a sheet of 3/4 MDF (to keep them straight) I masked off the perimeter with tape and cardboard and taped up any holes in the surface. Then get some 2 part urethane foam, mix it up and pour over the panel. Let it grow and dry. Then use a carving knife to cut off the excess. Use 36 grit to make the shape you want. In your case use a flat board with sandpaper glued to it and block it flat. Then apply a light coat of resin and wait for it to get sticky. Then cut squares of 1.5 oz fiberglass mat approx 6x6 and rip the edges to get a feathered edge. I use approx 3 to 5 layers of mat on a panel. Then use DURAGLASS on the panel. After a light sanding you can wrap the panel. If you want painted panels then add Rage Gold filler on top of the duraglass and sand until you are ready for primer. This sounds like alot but when you try to figure out how to mount the panel you will be glad to used the original because of the clips and such that are retained. There are more tricks to getting the panel to stay on but this seems to work for me on a complete custom panel. You can also retain the nice large screws that hold the arm rest on if you use a "Tampon Tube" to keep the foam from covering up the screw holes. Gives you a nice hole that you can install a plug in and later on access these screws that do ALOT for holding the panel on. There are alot of ideas that you can get from this site.... Check it out...

http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/html/adc/adc_main.html

Good Luck...