diesel? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2003, 06:46 AM
Gas Guzzling Democrat

Wiki Edits: 0

Post diesel?

okay. I've had this idea in my head for awhile, so here goes. don't laugh.

i'm curious about putting some sort of diesel engine in my '64 gmc p/u. For one reason: gas mileage. Right now i'm getting butt for mileage (its got a 350 in there now), and as I use the thing for work & such, i'd like to pay a little less at the pumps.

But - I don't know s**t about whether this makes sense. does a diesel get better mileage? Are there even any engines that would fit in the truck?

The idea's been just sitting in my head, and I thought I'd just send it out there, see what y'all think....

thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2003, 07:02 AM
Honorary Redneck

Last photo:

yeah, for the same size of truck and rough engine size, the diesel will get better mileage,

my advice would be to just go buy a truck with a diesel already in it, it'll be cheaper in the long run
Old 03-21-2003, 07:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would opt for the Dodge 5.9 before they went to electronic injectors. It was around 98 or 99 they did this. Dont go back too far. You want the one that comes with the HX35 Holset turbo and mechanical injectors. Too far back and it has the much smaller H1C Holset and power levels drop off. Of course an upgrade to the HX35 or HX35-40 Hybred is an option for the older ones.

chris
Old 03-21-2003, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

LOVE the idea, real trucks and men smell like diesel! a diesel will get about 30% better mileage. for the same amount of horsepower in a simillar truck. the problem will be the initial cost of the engine, you will need the whole running assembly out of a later model truck if you want it to last, the old 350 olds type diesel might be cheap but are junk if they are not rebuilt. ballanced and blueprinted. The better engine is the 6.5L diesel v-8 preforably with turbo, but they are rather expensive.

go to the wreckers and see what you can get a complete driveline from a mid-late 90īs diesel PU for (remember to get the tank if the truck is running an electric feederpump)
Old 03-21-2003, 07:42 AM
At a loss for words

Isn't there better torque in a diesel as compared to a regular gas engine? But what you gain in torque on the low end, you lose in upper end power?
Old 03-21-2003, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

Oh yeah! Id put a diesel in there that would be a cool project. Stay away from 6.2/6.5 GM the 5.9 Cummins is a better engine. It came in all sorts of vehicles not just Dodge trucks, find one with an inline pump dont get the older style rotary pump model. I think 230hp is the biggest one.
Be ready to pay $2000+ for it.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

[quote]Originally posted by andybird:
<strong>my advice would be to just go buy a truck with a diesel already in it, it'll be cheaper in the long run</strong><hr></blockquote>

BEST ADVICE I'VE SEEN on this thread. The conversion can easily run 3-4 grand plus a lot of heartaches. And .....have you priced the cost of DIESEL lately?

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 03-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

the 350 diesel oldsmobile engine (did they share it with Chevrolet and others?) makes a Honda-frame twisting 200 ft-lbs of torque stock.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

If you keep your eyes open and wait untill you find a deal, I would bet you can get it setup without spending too much cash. It would be a cool buildup.

My dad put an old mitsubishi desiel out of an old dodge truck back in the eighties. It was a dog for power, but got good mileage. The 5.9's cummins are quiet peppy though.

Chris
Old 03-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

How about a 3208 Cat? I knew a guy who worked for Oregon Tractor, that put one in a F250 four wheel drive pickup, in front of an Allison five speed automatic. He could pull a tandem axle 20' trailer load of wood over Mt. Hood just as fast as he could make the pull empty - without the trailer. Almost the same mileage too.. When we sat at stoplights, it was rather amusing to watch the stuff on the dash vibrate from one end to the other.

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;(((((VIBRASONIC)))))))&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
Old 03-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Gas Guzzling Democrat

thanks for the replies! I've got a bit more to base research on now, plus a bit of realism to convince me that this isn't going to happen tomorrow cause i'm not a billionaire.

Am glad to hear enthusiasm for the project, glad to hear that its not such a crazy idea!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.