Hot Rod Forum banner

diesel in gas tank help asap

11K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  bluesman123 
#1 ·
I have a friend that just called she is at the gas station just put a half tank of diesel in her van, its a gas motor. She did not start it, just pushed it to the side. She is going to have it towed to her house. My question is, Do I only need to drain the tank and refill with gas? Or is there more to it? Remember she did not Start the motor or try to start it. Fast help is very appreciated. Thanks Mike

#2 ·
Drain out all you can ,fill with gas, it will be alright. A little diesel wont hurt anything, might smoke for a few miles.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

#3 ·
Thanks Troy She has called a tow truck to get it back to her house I told her I would help her drain it in the morning. When she gets it fixed she is going an a 900 mile road trip, I want to make sure she dont have any problems because of this along the way. Is there anything else that might need to be done?

Thanks mike

#5 ·
I`ve seen in many cases where someone would mix a gallon of diesel to a full tank of gas and it had no effects, it was a old saying it helped to clean the engine, but I don`t know of the truth in this. some used it as a agent to help control detonation in high compression engines since it burns slower, but again, it`s hard to say if it had any effect, I`m sure it left deposits. However, if you can`t get it all out as long as there`s not a lot left when it`s refilled it won`t hurt anything.

#7 ·
Right after I changed my 3/4 ton suburban from diesel to a 502 gas eng. I put 42 gal. of diesel in at Okla. city. whipped out on the interstate (3:00) in the morn. It made more noise than when I broke the crankshaft in the diesel. and lordy the smoke.
Lucky there was an exit about 1/2 mile from the station, got pulled of. eng, died, smoke cleared, lots of police and fire trucks.
Called a friend I knew there, has a custom shop and used to run the circuit with me. He brought his dully and a rollback and took the sub. and my trailer to his shop. The first thing he said was Troy I smell diesel, as soon as he said that I knew what I had done. By now I was wide awake and totally embarrassed. We pumped the diesel out, put gas in and it was ok. It can happen to anybody. I had been putting diesel in that thing for 5 years and this was my first trip out with the new 502. And the first fuel stop
headed for Phoenix Az. ISCA show to start the season. My wife laughed all the way there, and had to tell every one, oh well no harm done.

Troy

26 T sedan street rod

#10 ·
Yeh, you can't believe how much smoke there was, and it just hung there, guess I was lucky that there was several cops pulled out of the truck stop right behind me. They slowed the traffic because of the smoke, and called the fire dept. It looked like the suburban and the 30 foot trailer was on fire, I guess you could call it a pre moment, after driving 5 hours and up 24 hours getting all the last minute things done to get the car together and loaded to start a 22 weekend show season crisscrossing the the USA and Canada.

Troy

26 T sedan street rod

#11 ·
mike69scj said:
I have a friend that just called she is at the gas station just put a half tank of diesel in her van, its a gas motor. She did not start it, just pushed it to the side. She is going to have it towed to her house. My question is, Do I only need to drain the tank and refill with gas? Or is there more to it? Remember she did not Start the motor or try to start it. Fast help is very appreciated. Thanks Mike
"She"...Right!

Anytime "she" has anymore questions, tell her "she" will get some good info when needed on this board.

:p

#13 ·
Talking of smoke reminds me of my foolish days. (all my life till yesterday) We had an old beater that we put diesel fuel into the windshield washer tank.... then drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the exhaust manifold close to the head... put a short 1/4 inch brake line into the hole and then hooked the washer hose up to the brake line tube that went into the manifold. You can produce 110% smoke screen outa your tailpipes by pressing the washer button. I tell you the smoke is UNBELEIVABLE! In town you can fill the street wall to wall, building to building with fine white smoke. You will halt all traffic in that street untill the wind takes it away. By that time you are long gone. It was hilarious!

#15 ·
Drained the tank and she made it on her trip. It is unbeliveable how hard they make it to get fule out of a tank. With all the saftys on the new cars it wasnt the easiest job. I miss the day of putting a hose in the tank and getting the gas out. It was a rental van with 1200 miles on it. Thanks to all of you, Mike

#16 ·
Living in Ireland...taking a holiday in Portugal...went to fill the tank in the little Peugot 205 rental...nothing looks familiar at the station so I puts in the cheapest...guess what, its diesel!!

Drove that little bugger for 2 more days...BIG white smoke...traded it in to the rental folks for a new one...runs OK.

Dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.