Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Diesel or Gas trucks? Gas prices (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/diesel-gas-trucks-gas-prices-119852.html)

ChevyTruckGuy 07-10-2007 11:16 AM

Diesel or Gas trucks? Gas prices

I have been looking for a Crew Cab truck what else. But have been trying to decide if a gas truck is real worth buying any more, With the Gas prices going to the 4.00 a gallon range. I see everyone selling them like hotcakes and opting for a more fuel saving ride.

So how many of you out there are dumping you gas hog's?

Craig

brian0605 07-10-2007 12:10 PM

Well let me say this. I am in fleet maintenance, multi thousands of trucks nation wide. FEDEX to be exact. We are moving away from the diesels and going back to Gas. Why you ask?? It is due to the cost of the initial purchase, since new diesels emission controls are very expensive compared to a comparable truck with a gas engine. Then there is the after care involved with the diesels. There will be a particulate filter and catalytic converter, EGR plus god knows what else. We have Dodge sprinters in the fleet, catalytic converter cost 1000$. so I guess it all depends what you want to do, pay me now or pay me later...........Brian :confused:

OneMoreTime 07-10-2007 12:50 PM

When I was at corporate being of the engamaneering type we did spreadsheets of the projected expens of gas versus diesel..what we found was that if one drove about 250,000 miles one would break about even..Of course we also knew that the diesels had more power for hauling heavy loads so what we did was use gas in all of our light rigs and just got the diesels for the guys who were hauling lots of equipment and tools all the time..

My personal truck is gas and has not proved to be a problem but then I also have an econobox for general errand running..

Sam

ChevyTruckGuy 07-10-2007 02:55 PM

Hmm! I Wonder why everyone is unloading there big trucks 1 ton's then? Diesel, Gas. Seem's to be an even number of them being sold off.
Diesel looks more costly to repair the only good thing is fuel MPG and maybe towing. Gas mpg sucks around 9 -10 mpg cheaper to repair. Tough to decide between the two evils I would think you would get more out of a diesel motor.

Craig

smoke 07-10-2007 06:25 PM

My brother in law own an electrical shop and looked into this too. Maybe a little different in his case. He buys a new truck every 3-4 years so it made more sense for him to buy gas trucks for all his guys and put utility boxes on them. He did buy one diesel 1 ton for towing there trailer with material to job sites.
I guess it depends on what you use it for and how long you plan to have it.

bentwings 07-11-2007 09:06 AM

Well there is no doubt that if you are towing heavy and a lot the diesel is the way to go. They are an expensive option on the new trucks, but they really have power to tow. We just drove a dually in each of the big 3 and all are very closely matched. It's a matter of preference to brand. All will roast the dually tires easily...like a couple hundred feet if you want.

The 07.5's with the new emmissions stuff are having some small problems as owners learn how to drive them effectively.

Mileage varies on how you drive. If you insist on driving over 65 while pulling a heavy load, don't complain about gas mileage. In fact if you insist on driving very fast don't complain. These trucks weigh 7k or better some get up to 8k unloaded.

My 99 gets 19.5 around town, 21-23 hwy and I go 60-65 period. I can get 18 towing 8000# easy and 13-14 pulling a 16k 44 ft racecar trailer.

Diesel maintenance can be expensive and if you abuse it it can be very expensive. I measure everything in cost per mile. For example fuel costs 5-7 times what tires cost per mile. Again I drive to minimise cost per mile.

For a daily driver with no load dollars and cents wise a 1/2 ton gasser is probably a better deal. If you plan on 200-300k miles get a diesel. There are many people who have never done anything but normal maintenance on their diesels. Cool factor says get a diesel regardless.

If you like hot rods and only can have one vehicle get a diesel. For about a grand and a half you can have a hotrod that can dust most cars on the road and doesn't need a trailer to get to the races. Not only that you won't even get dirty installing the electronics. You can add 150 hp and 300 ft lbs so easy to most diesels and get better mpg to boot.

35WINDOW 07-11-2007 10:07 AM

In the business I manage (Heavy Equipment), I have gone to Duramaxes (also given the fact that we own a couple of GM Dealerships). I keep a few dually's I keep around (with 175-200K) for backups, and those higher mileage units can be expensive if not maintained. And, if you plan on keeping the Truck, and you look at the long term maintenance and repair bills that Diesel Pickups do cost more to maintain-heck, one set of Injectors are scary $$$$.

Talking to the Truck Salesmen (on the GM side), there have been some reports of the 2007's having problems with the new Diesel formulation. I have one Equipment Salesman who loves the 6.0 Gas engine, but his Truck went in for a problem and he had to use a Duramax and fell in love, so I got him a new Dually (we haul a lot).

Now, for personal use, I just bought a new Z71 for myself-I don't really haul much (very little actually), so it was a no-brainer.

If you haul a lot, get a Diesel-if you don't, buy a gas rig-the gas mileage is close (comparing a 1/2 ton (19-21 mpg) to a 1 ton dually (we get 18-19 mpg)-both are Highway mielage figures, so yours may vary-I think it has a lot to do with your intended purpose-

OneMoreTime 07-11-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyTruckGuy
Hmm! I Wonder why everyone is unloading there big trucks 1 ton's then? Diesel, Gas. Seem's to be an even number of them being sold off.
Diesel looks more costly to repair the only good thing is fuel MPG and maybe towing. Gas mpg sucks around 9 -10 mpg cheaper to repair. Tough to decide between the two evils I would think you would get more out of a diesel motor.

Craig

What I am seeing is that the profilers that bought the big trucks for the "cool factor" are selling those off..Those of us actually have to haul something are keeping ours..Now I do see some of the guys like me getting an econobox P/U or small car for general errands..

Sam

Irelands child 07-11-2007 12:09 PM

I just bought an '06 F350 with a V10 gas engine after a LOT of research on the pros and cons of a Diesel. There are several things to consider when you make the jump:

New, a Diesel is about $6800 more, used $3-5000

Fuel mileage - the older ones were better - before pollution controls got so tight. Diesel wins here by 2-3 mpg. Fuel oil vs gasoline where I live is only ten to fifteen cents a gallon difference. You need to drive a LOT of miles to make up that $6800 difference

Maintenance - 15 quarts of oil (Mobil 1 is about $5/qt - and you want that for the extra MPG), an oil filter is $25, a fuel filter is $60 vs 7 qts of oil, $4 oil filter and a $10 fuel filter. Then you have 2ea 900 cold starting amp (very expensive) #27 series batteries.

Stop and go driving will drive you nuts with Diesel engine "rattle" - and it increases the maintenance factor by some amount - my guess is 2X. Most of my driving is local.

Pulling a trailer - how big is it and will it be pulled highway miles a lot - if so, then Diesel may be a good investment.

Trade in value - in 2-3 years it will be pretty good, beyond that, well, they seem to drop like a rock, just like a gas truck.

Engine longevity - the rest of the truck will wear out before either engine but a well maintained Diesel does have an edge.

Pucker value - hands down Diesel.

Dave

302 Z28 07-11-2007 12:24 PM

Government and EPA controls on diesel vehicles are only going to get tougher in the very near future. The prices are going to take a jump to make up the costs and diesel fuel will also have a heftier federal tax on it to discourage use. gas is the way to go for the foreseeable future.

Vince

bentwings 07-11-2007 03:22 PM

Too bad our legislators are so narrow minded. The rest of the world has very significant diesel populations for reasons of economy and durability. Seems like there must be a good lesson to be learned.

As a sidenote did you see that MacDonalds is converting it's entire fleet in the UK to bio diesel using their own waste veg oil??

http://www.gnet.org/news/newsdetail....1&NewsID=35376

Irelands child 07-11-2007 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=bentwings]Too bad our legislators are so narrow minded. The rest of the world has very significant diesel populations for reasons of economy and durability. Seems like there must be a good lesson to be learned.

As a sidenote did you see that MacDonalds is converting it's entire fleet in the UK to bio diesel using their own waste veg oil??

[QUOTE]

Most new vehicles in the UK ARE Diesel and the fuel is several pence per litre higher then gas. i.e. 90 (USD1.80/litre) so it sounds like MacD is only following suit

I can smell them now - with a french fry exhaust - ahhhhhh

Dave

brian0605 07-11-2007 07:36 PM

Well, another reason our fleet is moving to the gas is also due to the weight of freight and size of boxes we carry has changed. We now have several different companies to choose from under the fed ex brand name. This has allowed our customers greater and more economical shipping options. In our fleet we have some 01' model 2500 savanna vans with 4.3l engines that have 400,000 plus miles that run 200 to 300 miles a day everyday and don't really use any oil and run smooth and quiet. Maintenance maintenance maintenance,engine oil every 5k, trans 75k, brake fluid 2years, rearend oil 2years etc etc etc........Brian

ChevyTruckGuy 07-11-2007 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian0605
Well, another reason our fleet is moving to the gas is also due to the weight of freight and size of boxes we carry has changed. We now have several different companies to choose from under the fed ex brand name. This has allowed our customers greater and more economical shipping options. In our fleet we have some 01' model 2500 savanna vans with 4.3l engines that have 400,000 plus miles that run 200 to 300 miles a day everyday and don't really use any oil and run smooth and quiet. Maintenance maintenance maintenance,engine oil every 5k, trans 75k, brake fluid 2years, rearend oil 2years etc etc etc........Brian

I worked for UPS many moon agoo! late 80's early 90's And everything went diesel Except nextday air stuff, they used mini Van's. Most of the package cars here are gas So Its a tuff thing to decide. I'm also looking at a 4x4 unit to. More for family trips boating exploreing back road. So I don't know about buying a used diesel the cost of breaking down is the thing costly repairs but sure seem's cheeper to run one up front. I had a 84 diesel 4x4 a gutless wonder but man did I get good fuel MPG.

What to do Hmmm! :thumbup:

Craig

302 Z28 07-12-2007 06:57 AM

[QUOTE=bentwings]As a sidenote did you see that MacDonalds is converting it's entire fleet in the UK to bio diesel using their own waste veg oil??

Now all their vehicles will have coronary artery disease, like the people who eat there :D .

Vince