Diesel motor in 65 continental... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 07:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Diesel motor in 65 continental...

putting a 7.3L powerstroke in my lincoln,will have a 430 with transmission. anyone know what its worth?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,040 Posts
LOL...... About $375 at the scales. Welcome to the forum. Just kidding.

John L
Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Probably not much to a hot rodder. Odd ball engine and transmission. Suggest that you might want to look in a PRINT edition of Hemming's Motor News (the on-line version doesn't show everything or at least make it easy to find). These magazines are available at any Barnes & Noble, many bigger magazine sellers and even some libraries where I see it when I need to do some research.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARHARTTCASH View Post
putting a 7.3L powerstroke in my lincoln,will have a 430 with transmission. anyone know what its worth?
It will always be worth more with number matching engine and trans. But it hink its a good build lots of market for deseil cars. If you live in cali it may have more value since emmisons are taking the fun out of hot rodding in ca.

Be sure to get the intercooler installed properly. You should be able to get it sunk in front of the radiator. Might require a little cutting but its worth it dont try to use a smaller intercooler they are good ones and could cost more to replace than its worth. Best to make the stock one fit. I have seen this intercooler installed in a ford ranger so i know you can make them fit.

Be sure to try to sneak the fuel pump and original gas tank under the car if possible. The with the factory lincoln tank you may have trouble getting the proper fuel pressure and cleanlyness needed to run a modern deisel. Be sure to run good filters either way. One little piece of trash and your deisel pump will need costly rebuild.

I like the build how about some pictures? With this motor you can use a bullydog to switch between mpg and power on the fly its actually pretty cool. If your looking to sell make sure its bio-deisel ready. That will push the price a few dollars more. Also may want to look into propane injection for the test drive purposes. It will also help if you want to post a major dyno numbers for sale.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM

not all swaps have to be about more power.how is it for fuel economy in the beast?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

I'm curious how tall a 7.3 is compared to a 430. A 430 BARELY fits in a '61-65 Lincoln, height-wise. Will the diesel fit under the hood?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G View Post
I'm curious how tall a 7.3 is compared to a 430. A 430 BARELY fits in a '61-65 Lincoln, height-wise. Will the diesel fit under the hood?
I was thinking the same thing it also is pretty wide in some areas.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

With the right gearing and a the turbo, it should get pretty good MPG, maybe 18?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
It will always be worth more with number matching engine and trans.
I got the impression he was asking about the value of the old engine and trans, once removed from the car.

The bigger question is, how much more does the diesel weigh? I'm guessing an extra 200-300 lbs before you add in the heavier trans, radiator, etc.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
I got the impression he was asking about the value of the old engine and trans, once removed from the car.

The bigger question is, how much more does the diesel weigh? I'm guessing an extra 200-300 lbs before you add in the heavier trans, radiator, etc.
Probably the opposite 200 pounds less. Cast intake and manifolds can add a lot of weight to an engine. Trans may be heavier radiator is alum in the truck and old style in car. I bet it is lighter as well. Fluids will have some weight to them since more oil, trans and Antifreeze will all be a few quarts mpre than stock.

Stock engine may have little to no value unless its in good condition. I would think under a 1000 if its good rebuilder and maybe 1500 if its a good runner but has needs. Maybe some paint and new parts could help add some valvue if resale is needed for the build.

Fyi from experience do as much work with the car stock and running as possible. Once the motors out its a brick until its 100 percent again. Certainly dont want to Push it aroun the garage or yard. Work a head of time and plan a quick swap with everything lined up. Unless the motor is already dead then do whatever works.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM

Well finally got some time to pull the old motor and try he diesel fitting. For the most part the diesel fits snug,have some minor fab work to relocate the oil cooler and obviously the motor mounts. This car is for sure getting a cowl hood! Which I suspected. Was able to reverse the oil pan with minor altering which made the fit very easy, wrong on getting some pics up soon
Old 02-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Very cool.....i like the sound of the hood having a rise in it.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

the diesel weights 920 pounds itself and if u using a E4OD it weights i believe around 330 pounds. i own a 7.3 nonintercooled 1 in a 96 f250 and if i had bigger tires and 3:73s id get better mileage. honestly my suggestion would be go 6.9-7.3 idi turbo it and u will get better mileage and it only takes 3 wires to run . 1 for starter 1 for fuel shutoff solenoid and 1 other 1. the older idis get better mileage to. my final suggestion get a custom tuned chip for ur 7.3 powerstroke dont go off the shelf as they will eat a nice built up auto
Old 02-03-2013, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

oh and with 7.3 injectors u can figure out roughly what horsepower u can make with 1cc of fuel equals 2.3hp. try it with a 140cc thats what the last of teh 7.3s had in it factory. u should be real close if not on the money

Tags
diesel, ford, lincoln

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.