difference between adding honey or fiberglass resin to filler - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 10:11 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

difference between adding honey or fiberglass resin to filler

I haven't used resin too much cause it clogs more in my opinion. Any differences to make note of? It seems like the resin would work better with resin hardener added to the equation cause maybe it won't clog as bad, and I don't think guys do that, but it makes sense, rather than just using filler hardener.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Honestly? In my opinion adding "honey" or resin to filler is like jumping in a time machine and going back to 1975, one might as well break out the lacquer primer and complete the trip!

A quality filler like RAGE Extreme needs no extra fillers and sands MILES better than any honeyized filler. Finish it off in polyester putty and you are MILES, make that LIGHT YEARS ahead of adding resin or honey to filler.

Henry, I know you are way way beyond needing basics but my "Basics of Basics" on filler taught to me by a master years ago has saved me thousands of second or third apps of filler over the years. "Basics of Basics" Plastic filler (click here)

Brian
Old 05-28-2011, 11:09 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Honestly? In my opinion adding "honey" or resin to filler is like jumping in a time machine and going back to 1975, one might as well break out the lacquer primer and complete the trip!

A quality filler like RAGE Extreme needs no extra fillers and sands MILES better than any honeyized filler. Finish it off in polyester putty and you are MILES, make that LIGHT YEARS ahead of adding resin or honey to filler.

Henry, I know you are way way beyond needing basics but my "Basics of Basics" on filler taught to me by a master years ago has saved me thousands of second or third apps of filler over the years. "Basics of Basics" Plastic filler (click here)

Brian
Thanks but everything you are saying I know already. I use thin applications for restorations so little honey is needed and since I apply tight skim coats finishing glaze isn't needed. Extreme is good but as I recall on that lame website you visit I was the first guy(or one of the first) on there to talk about using extreme as a finishing putty. If you don't believe me look at my post for my first user name, but then again the facts would get lost on that site cause it's owned by a fraud. I even recall the fraud even making fun of me for posting that about the extreme but then after other uses mentioned the procedure here he comes the fraud telling me what I already mentioned...just lame! I can count many things I mentioned on that site that I mentioned before anybody and then time would pass and out of nowhere that fraud would be trying to shove my own advice back onto me. too funny. This is the same guy that said he could weld better than me....hahahhaha

btw, the reason I stopped using extreme is cause it costs $60 bucks now. It's twice as expensive as upol gold and honey and when you prime multiple times it's uneeded. When I go back to production I'll burn thru finishing glaze like no tomorrow, but not with my money.

so how do you think filler gets runny when they manufacture it? Have you ever seen it separated? Sure looks like honey to me.

Last edited by tech69; 05-28-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:45 PM
boatbob2

Hi Tech 69..........

Hi,if that bottom photo,is of your welding skill,my 13 year old granddaughter can weld better than that,,,,so can I,and im 73 years old.............
Old 05-28-2011, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

yeah that isnt even a weld its a bunch of tach welds that you ground down because they were too ugly to look at

here are some real welds for you to look at

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835131
Old 05-28-2011, 03:55 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

no way is that my welding. I would have done that waaaay cleaner. I was just proving my point. Thanks for helping me prove that. These are welds of the fraud I kept on my hard drive for whenever he'd decide to insult me. Martin rememers that. The fraud then lied and said it was someone else after bullying me and I confronted him about his own pics. And for the record, Martin is the real deal, but the owner of that site is a fraud. Those guys are real jerks over there cause I'm open about shortcomings and arrived on that site as a rook, but they couldn't accept me when I learned better.

Btw, it's hard to tell which pic is worse. I just can't believe that guy posted up those pics and would look down on me when I was posting up pics of welding that were 100 times better. Martin knows it but he's too nice to get involved.

Last edited by tech69; 05-28-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.