Difference between manually putting auto trans. into first vs Drive - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 07:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Difference between manually putting auto trans. into first vs Drive

I have a basic question about automatic transmissions. I have a TH350 which will not move if started in Drive. If you put it manually in first it will drive and you can manually upshift it to 2nd and Drive. I'm told the problem is likely the sprag clutch (gear?). I've read up on it and think I understand function of the sprag clutch. What I don't understand is how the transmission will run in first when put manually into first if the sprag was bad. Is there a manual mechanism locking the planet carrier when the shifter is put into first gear?
Thanks!
Ed

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2006, 09:32 PM

sabino56,

No, there isn't a mechanical connection from the shifter to low gear. The only reason that I can think of for this transmission to work when you pull the shifter into low is that the oil passes through different passages ways. So you end up with more oil pressure at the clutch pack which causes the trans to work. I think if you do not go into the trans and fix the problem it will quit working one of these days. And if you have my luck it will be when you are on your way to THE most important meeting of your life.

Good Luck
Scholman
Old 10-04-2006, 10:49 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

The low/reverse clutch is applied in manual 1st, and released in drive position.

Sounds like a rear sprag to me also.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:26 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies.
I have transmission out of car and was trying to decide whether to attempt rebuilding myself or taking it to a shop. I've rebuilt engines and manuals but never opened up an automatic. I was thinking if it was something "simple" I might take a shot - but since it's probably the sprag and there is metal everywhere, I will probably take it in to have it cleaned and rebuilt.
I'll have to learn what the low/reverse clutch does - I'm guessing lock the planetary carrier? Does anyone have good links to schematics or tutorial on the TH350 or automatic transmissions in general?
Ed
Old 10-05-2006, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

Probably one of the best th350 books is by Ron Sessions. It's available cheap on eBay.

Clicky here.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:16 AM

Last journal entry: Painting
Last photo:

If you have a good aptitude for the task at hand, go for it. I remember my first auto rebuild, it was a Chrysler unit, I was new at this and over torqued the bands. What a mess, it worked well for the first ten minutes, then over heated and died. So, you know what happens next, pulled the pig out and started all over. Luckily we did not do much damage and was able to fix it with another $100.00 towards new parts. This was back in 1978. The T350 is a simple rebuild and worth the experience. I would recommend the heavy duty clutch packages and extra duty parts, over the OEM stuff. You will thank yourself on spending the extra $600.00 + for the upgrade in parts.

Face the facts on this one, automatic transmission rebuilds have gone from $800.00 up-wards to $2500.00 over the past 15 years. Inflation kills everyone.
You save 50% of your investment doing the job yourself. Check out this site for a more concise brief on the extra touch....and good luck....
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700r4.htm
Old 10-22-2006, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

just to get back to the group.
I got in touch with person I bought transmission from and he agreed to repair it. It was the one-way clutch which had failed. The outter race had a crack in it and so it could expand and let the teeth or whatever locks it jump.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

That was good of him to fix it!! I hope he put in a hardend race instead of the stock one. That is one weak point in the th350 when adding lots of power.

Makr
Old 10-23-2006, 08:47 AM

manually putting auto trans into first vs drive

sabino56 am glad to hear your problem is resolved.i am new to this site and certainly happy to read all the great input thats posted.the low sprag keeps the rear planetary held in place so that the planet pinions will turn clockwise,looking at trans from front to rear,this forces the output ring gear and output shaft to turn in a clockwise direction,the low sprag freewheels in a clockwise direction and locks counter clockwise.in manual low the low reverse clutchs are applied locking the rear planetary in place,or doing the same thing a good sprag would do,thought this might be interesting reading for some.tci makes a hardened intermediate sprag race,which will keep you from losing 2nd gear if you have much over 350 hp
Old 10-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

so much information here.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:10 PM

difference between manually putting auto trans into first vs drive

hey crosley what did you mean,so much information here? I ask because i'm new to this site,in fact new to contributing info to any internet forum,I have enjoyed it so far ,there are a lot of sharp people that contribute to this site,I expect to learn much.you have posted over 2600 times so in your opinion did I bog the forum down with my post,or is this the type of info people want to read?Thank you in advance for your reply,Briscoe.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by briscoe
hey crosley what did you mean,so much information here? I ask because i'm new to this site,in fact new to contributing info to any internet forum,I have enjoyed it so far ,there are a lot of sharp people that contribute to this site,I expect to learn much.you have posted over 2600 times so in your opinion did I bog the forum down with my post,or is this the type of info people want to read?Thank you in advance for your reply,Briscoe.

my post stands on it's own. I meant nothing special by it.

post away , we appreciate all correct information here on the site

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.