Hot Rod Forum banner

Difference in body panel parts and prices?

798 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  matt167 
#1 ·
I have been looking at body patch panels and floorpans for two cars that friends of mine are restoring. We have looked at chevs of the 40s and numerous sites. What I have noticed is a lot of places offer two options a cheaper panel and then a panel they call superior. The superior panel is usally a lot more expensive.

My question is what's the difference in the two. And are they worth the extra money. We don't want to throw money away but don't want to buy junk either.

#2 ·
yes, the superior panels you will find, are finished. the cheaper panels will have wrinkles on the curves ect... I got a 1/4 patch for my '51 Chevy, from Surplus Supply ( Chevsofthe40s supplier ) and it was the cheaper.. the edge curve was really wrinkled,and the bumper indent was too shallow, so I could not use that part of the patch

#3 ·
I figured there was some difference in them. Just wanted to hear from some of you guys who have bought both.

For example they offer one lower qtr repair panel for the 50 chevy sedan that we are working on for $54.75, they offer another one for $156.50.
That's quiet a bit more when you are buying one for each side.

But if the cheap one doesn't fit it's not worth the savings. I'm not the one buying them. I'm just afraid the cheaper ones are going to mean a lot more work. The guy who owns the car looks at it like" just because something costs more doesn't make it better". I agree with him on this but sometimes things cost more because they are better.

We are just trying to make the right decision and save as much as possible.

#4 ·
you could call surplus supply and see if the dies are the same for both, I'm pretty sure they are and that the only diffrence is the more expensive has been worked to remove the wrinkles... my part does fit like the original, but the indent for the bumper was shallower than stock, it would have fit and worked fine, but I only needed 1 and that part of the panal wasn't bad, and if I had used it, it would have looked goofy as the other side had a deeper indent.. so I cut that part of the patch off and used the rest

#7 · (Edited)
matt167 said:
pretty sure it's 16 gauge. I could mic the remains that I cut off, but I don't know what 16ga is in inches.. cause it could be 18 ga also

.. I know it's less than an inch, but I don't know what other measurement to call it.
Here you go! Sheet Metal Gauge convertor or Sheet Metal Chart

I don't agree with the aluminum gauge, I worked in an Aluminum rolling mill for 30 years and no one at any time ever refered to the thickness or "gauge" in a manner other that the actual thickness of the metal. Mic it at .049 then it was .049 gauge, mic it at 1.5000 then it was 1.5000 gauge. .

Who knows where aluminum is refered to as indicated by the convertor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.