Hot Rod Forum banner

Difference in rotors on gen 3 Camaros

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  smallblocker2 
#1 ·
Does anybody know what if any is the difference in front brake disc rotors on 1982-1987 compared to 1988-1992? I have been reading in some catalogs that they list different part numbers for those two years and do not know why. Are my fears misguided by this? I am building up a 1983 Camaro and have just purchased some slotted and cross-drilled rotors for cheap. the only thing is the guy i got them from said they only fit the 1988 to 1992 Camaros. I am not that worried though because i have a wrecked 1989 Camaro that I am stripping all the good suspension off of to put on mine and if i need to I'll just go back and take the spindles. I have already taken the Koni struts and Hotchkis springs from the front and everything bolted up fine on my '84. Maybe its a difference in thickness or or something dealing with the calipers, so do i need to transplant those to my car also? Any information would be appreciated.
thanks Cole32

#2 ·
Unless it is the 1LE brakes, they should be the same. I could be wrong, but I see the same rotor # for an 85 and a 90(except 1LE) that I just looked up.

Normal diameter is 10.5" and the 1LE discs are almost 12" in diameter, and probably require a different steering knuckle as well as the rest of the brake parts being different.

#4 ·
I measured them and they are almost 12" diameter. I looked on my '89 parts car and the spindles are exactly the same. The steering knuckle is no problem. The problem is the caliper mounts. They extend out over the disc and provide a clearence problem. I am thinking about grinding them for clearance and then making a plate that shifts the caliper out the approximent 3/4" that will be needed. Did some '88-'92 Camaros come with different spindles and would it be possible to find some in my local junkyards?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.