differences in same year 4l80e 4x4 transmission electronics plug - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

differences in same year 4l80e 4x4 transmission electronics plug

i have a 93 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban with a one year old rebuilt 454. the tranfer case was busted when i bought the suburban 2 weeks ago so i went to a junk yard and picked up one from a 93 3/4 4x4 pickup with a 350. it bolted up fine. then on the fourth of july i was pulling out of a gas station on a four lane road and the truck stopped pulling its self in the third lane. so when i got it back home the following day i checked everything out and decided the transmision was the problem when i found out the output shaft wouldnt spin withe the truck on and in any drive gear forward or reverse and no park gear. so i went back to the truck i took the transfer case from and picked up the transmission and placed it in and bolted it up but the electrical connection on the side is totally different the old one ( on the suburban ) is semi-flat with 12 prongs, and the one from the pick-up looks like a well that sticks out of the side and has 11 prongs. so obviously it wont hook up what can i do with the new one, is there an adapter i can buy or can i splice into wiring harness on the suburban with the plug from the pick-up. or anything else i just want the truck back up and running. im tired of driving the little grand am it beats me up when i hit a bump. if any of this is possible please let me know

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 01:16 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

you sure the other truck isnt a 92 older? or something? or not original drivetrain in it?

a buddy of mines '92 2500HD pickup 4x4 with 4L80E has totally round shaped harness plug out the side of case right above the shifter shaft

GM was pretty good at changing up the tranny electronics every year or two

but in the same year should be identical

hmm..
Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

I was a GM tech from way back and have a fuzzy memory about a wiring upgrade on either the 4l60e or 4l80e and I seem to remember a new harness in the trans as well as new connector to the truck. Do some research from that angle - your year may be fine but you just might be the victim of an update. I wasn't a transmission man so don't shoot the messenger if mistaken.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:02 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm24
i have a 93 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban with a one year old rebuilt 454. the tranfer case was busted when i bought the suburban 2 weeks ago so i went to a junk yard and picked up one from a 93 3/4 4x4 pickup with a 350. it bolted up fine. then on the fourth of july i was pulling out of a gas station on a four lane road and the truck stopped pulling its self in the third lane. so when i got it back home the following day i checked everything out and decided the transmision was the problem when i found out the output shaft wouldnt spin withe the truck on and in any drive gear forward or reverse and no park gear. so i went back to the truck i took the transfer case from and picked up the transmission and placed it in and bolted it up but the electrical connection on the side is totally different the old one ( on the suburban ) is semi-flat with 12 prongs, and the one from the pick-up looks like a well that sticks out of the side and has 11 prongs. so obviously it wont hook up what can i do with the new one, is there an adapter i can buy or can i splice into wiring harness on the suburban with the plug from the pick-up. or anything else i just want the truck back up and running. im tired of driving the little grand am it beats me up when i hit a bump. if any of this is possible please let me know

the early 4l80e trans have a 8mm headed bolt that holds the harness to the pass-through connector. the late 4l80e does not. have you tried turning the harness connector 180* and see if it plugs in then?
if the case connector looks like its not far enough out, thats quite possible as if the retaining tabs get broke the case connector can be pushed into the case.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.