a different 307 sbc build, need some advice - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8fbrx7
back from the dead...well for some reason beyond my knowledge, after this i reinstalled my 76cc heads and the car fired right up, i have no clue why it ran but it did lol. although about mid summer last year i ended up fouling out spark plugs really quick and did a leakdown test and found a crap load of compression loss and it coming out of the valve cover...so i guess the 307 was shot. now heres my dilemma. i've torn down the car to do other mods (ford 9 inch) and to redo somethings ive done cuz its not my daily anymore. I scored a cheap 283 off a local here which the ring gap isn't almost out of spec like the 307 was when i put it together. heres my question. should i attempt to put the 416 heads on the 283 because i don't wanna drop my CR even MORE than with the 307 with the 76cc heads lol. and would the cam and everything work well together? to review since its 6 pages back it would be now:
416 heads
summit 1104 cam
performer rpm intake and a holley 600? what kinda numbers am i looking at with this setup?

the other option i was considering was a 3030 solid lift cam with the 76cc heads, according to DD it would make some nice numbers but i'd rather hear some knowledge thats been actually used instead of a program lol
I wouldn't run the 76cc heads, regardless of the cam- but an especially bad choice for the 30/30 cam.

The L30 Vortec 305 heads are a viable choice, IMO. All that I have seen and heard from those who have used them indicates they work well, and need no excess milling to get the chambers small enough to make the compression needed for a performance cam. Post 478 has more info and photos on the L30 heads. There are other threads about these heads on the forum, BTW.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Dept. of corrections

I apologize for dragging up this old thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
I was fortunate enough to have had in my possession some really quality ported heads, done by a guy in Taft, FL., Bo Law.
The above should have read, "done by a guy in Taft, FL., Maxie", not Law. Sorry about that- it's not something I should have mixed up.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:53 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Maxie isn't in Taft anymore either, he's got a big shop on his property, near East Lake Toho,
Bo Laws does mostly carbs now, at BLP Products in Orlando,

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.