Different paint booth question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Different paint booth question

I know it's been covered but I haven't seen my answer yet. I am gonna build my own booth. Plastic the walls with either wood or pvc pipe frame. Now my fans I am gonna probably have them blowing filtered air into the booth and have filters on the two windows allowing the air out to create a positive pressure booth. But my question is how do I install the fans, I mean I can have the fans blowing right on the car right? Or is the paint gun pressure enough to compensate for this. I was gonna have seal the fans along the bottom of the garage door but then it will pretty much blow right at the car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

I DID IT YOUR WAY WITH 2BY4'S
i used two 12 volt car radiator fans and put mid to near top of Booth .
put your outlets at floor level and pipe them up high outside ,
this will let it draw good even when fans off .
fumes at floor level and over-spray drops downward .
i put ac filters on front side of fans by building a frame to hold fans and filters .
i used two trash can lids in front to direct air not straight at car .
i found out the higher the pipes outside , the more draw of air like a fireplace .
i ran the battery down on my fan power and noticed the cloud being drawn to my outlets with sun light glaring in plastic Booth .
on the fans blowing in , to much ,and mine would rise off the floor a couple inches .
Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

look here

Paint booth basics
Old 02-07-2009, 09:26 AM

I do understand the basics here and read that article. It is not possible for me to put the fans thru the top cause I rent and can't cut holes in the garage lol. And see alot of varying opinions as to suck the air out with fans or use for positive pressure. i do like the positive pressure though because if you suck the air out with the fans it will create negative pressure and air travels the path of least resistance so if you have ANY leaks it will not flow thru the filters but thru the cracks and bring dirt in.
Ok so i'll do this I think. I'll get 2 or 3 box fans, put filters on them and blow air into the booth. I'll direct the air down to the ground and up in the air so it doesn't blow directly on the car. And then i'll put like 3 or 4 filters under the garage door and and seal it off. I'll stack the filters so they go from floor height to over waist height.
I know everybody has their own ways of doing things but i'm trying to keep cost down so I can put it into the car. How does this sound?
Oh and thanks guys i've learned alot from the little time i've been on this forum.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:28 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I would not have any type of fan blowing in, at around a wet paint job .. big time dirt problem, try to have the fan sucking out the air .. stirred up dirt is going to be your biggest problem to solve, along with over spray a subject to be belt with.

here is how I did it
http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/3

I took an 3 ton AC air squirrel cage blower and housing, fab a connection for a 12'' flex ac duct, and put into my plastic sheet sided spray booth.

looking at the picture, in the back and at floor level you will see ac filters the air came in there the blower sucked it out, no holes cut into any thing

all the air flow was at ground level work great for me

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/3

hope this will stir up some more ideas for you...

Last edited by pepi; 02-07-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavetim
I do understand the basics here and read that article. It is not possible for me to put the fans thru the top cause I rent and can't cut holes in the garage lol. And see alot of varying opinions as to suck the air out with fans or use for positive pressure. i do like the positive pressure though because if you suck the air out with the fans it will create negative pressure and air travels the path of least resistance so if you have ANY leaks it will not flow thru the filters but thru the cracks and bring dirt in.
Ok so i'll do this I think. I'll get 2 or 3 box fans, put filters on them and blow air into the booth. I'll direct the air down to the ground and up in the air so it doesn't blow directly on the car. And then i'll put like 3 or 4 filters under the garage door and and seal it off. I'll stack the filters so they go from floor height to over waist height.
I know everybody has their own ways of doing things but i'm trying to keep cost down so I can put it into the car. How does this sound?
Oh and thanks guys i've learned alot from the little time i've been on this forum.
Just to pass along one little gem I learned the hard way. I tried in 1990 to paint my Boss 302 in my garage. I had a double garage door in the front, and a 30" door in back. I put a huge whole house fan in a box at the back door, sealing everything but that opening. I raised the garage door 24", and put furnace filters all across the bottom of the door. I thought I had it all covered.......except.......when I put down my color coat, the back door fan pulled air over the top of the garage door. I didn't seal the top. D'oh. Dirty air was pulled over the top, and I got fish eyes all over my paint. Ruined it.
So: Remember the gap at the top too.
I'm going to be painting in my garage again, this time a different garage w/o a back door, and I'm still trying to figure out how to do it.
I appreciate everyone's input on all these topics. I'm learning alot!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Couple of things to consider is that we want lots of airflow but we do not want high speed airflow..High velocity airflow is a big dirt stirrer.. we would like to see the booth well sealed and the air exit down at floor level so the dirt is pushed down to the floor..of course the walls and ceiling needs to be sealed so all the air comes from where we want and goes where we want..Actually I have had as good a success with large mosquito screens on the garage door as with anything else I have tried..

Sam
Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 AM

Last photo:

here's my booth i made in from the rafters with filters
and out at the floor with the fan motor sealed outside the fumes dumping air into a water tub to ease the smell .
all metal walls ,caulked all seams and floor , for wet down .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2609.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	36263   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2611.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	36264  
Old 02-13-2009, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

I've done a TON of reading (here and other places) plus I went and talked to several Paint guys I know...all regarding creating an AFFORDABLE booth I can build in my garage and take down and reuse without alot of fuss.

I hear tons of people talking about how not to use box fans (to exhaust the booth) because they are not explosion proof, and this could prove deadly.

I've yet to run across even one story of a box fan giving someone trouble in this regard.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen...but that would have to be ALOT of product in the AIR (not on the object being painted) to cause an explosion.

I've also had several electricians tell me that most newer fans are brushless motors, so they would be MORE worried about the switch or the cord creating a spark, than the motor.

I'm building a small booth (for motorcycle parts) it'll probably end up 7'x7' if that. I've decided I'm going to design it so I can move it enough in one piece (PVC / wood / Plastic) that I can totally seal the booth. And I can then push it up against my side door in my garage.

I plan on TRYING to use a couple of electric auto / truck cooling fans from the boneyard to EXHAUST The air. I'll run the fans to a car / motorcycle battery well away from the booth. I plan on putting the exhaust fans LOW on the exit door, and the opposite wall of the booth (plastic) will house 4 20" x 20" furnace filters.

I need to design this so it's economical to build, but also easy to break down (at this point because it won't be totally square because my exit door open INWARD) in a few pieces and store it.

If it comes down to it, I might end up using a box fan, or an industrial type "sealed motor" fan like I've seen at Lowe's for @ $70 or so. There just won't be that much product in the air when I'm painting.

I just can't see having a fan PUSHING air into the booth, with the object(s) I'm painting in the PATH of the air trying to exit....seems to be you have to worry about filtering EVERY LITTLE piece of trash out of the intake fan, not to mention all that air wanting to go THROUGH where you are painting.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc
I've done a TON of reading (here and other places) plus I went and talked to several Paint guys I know...all regarding creating an AFFORDABLE booth I can build in my garage and take down and reuse without alot of fuss.

I hear tons of people talking about how not to use box fans (to exhaust the booth) because they are not explosion proof, and this could prove deadly.

I've yet to run across even one story of a box fan giving someone trouble in this regard.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen...but that would have to be ALOT of product in the AIR (not on the object being painted) to cause an explosion.

I've also had several electricians tell me that most newer fans are brushless motors, so they would be MORE worried about the switch or the cord creating a spark, than the motor.

I'm building a small booth (for motorcycle parts) it'll probably end up 7'x7' if that. I've decided I'm going to design it so I can move it enough in one piece (PVC / wood / Plastic) that I can totally seal the booth. And I can then push it up against my side door in my garage.

I plan on TRYING to use a couple of electric auto / truck cooling fans from the boneyard to EXHAUST The air. I'll run the fans to a car / motorcycle battery well away from the booth. I plan on putting the exhaust fans LOW on the exit door, and the opposite wall of the booth (plastic) will house 4 20" x 20" furnace filters.

I need to design this so it's economical to build, but also easy to break down (at this point because it won't be totally square because my exit door open INWARD) in a few pieces and store it.

If it comes down to it, I might end up using a box fan, or an industrial type "sealed motor" fan like I've seen at Lowe's for @ $70 or so. There just won't be that much product in the air when I'm painting.

I just can't see having a fan PUSHING air into the booth, with the object(s) I'm painting in the PATH of the air trying to exit....seems to be you have to worry about filtering EVERY LITTLE piece of trash out of the intake fan, not to mention all that air wanting to go THROUGH where you are painting.
You are referring to the LEL, the Lower Explosive Limit. A ppm measurement of flammables to oxygen in the atmosphere. If the atmosphere is under the LEL for a given product it won't explode.

There are test meters available to test this, but they are expensive. It is most commonly called a confined space entry meter.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Last photo:

[QUOTE=ctandc]I've done a TON of reading (here and other places) plus I went and talked to several Paint guys I know...all regarding creating an AFFORDABLE booth I can build in my garage and take down and reuse without alot of fuss.

[QUOTE]

Typical box fans are induction motors (no brushes) and in that respect they are explosure proof (not rated) to a point. The switch controlling the on-off function is not a sealed switch and is not explosion proof and is a spark producing device.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.