Hot Rod Forum banner

Different seals on a 9" axle

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  prostreet6t9 
#1 ·
I have a Lincoln 9" with disc brakes, 28 spline axle with the big bearing at the end of the axle tube. I purchased new bearings and seals for the axles and removed the old ones, and getting ready to install the new bearings and seals. the literature that came with the new bearings shows a small seal inboard of the pressed on collar. In the photo it is #6. I do not remember this being on the axle when I took it all apart about 6 months ago. Got this axle off of Craig's list and have been rebuilding it, did not know if it was missing a part. I know that there are large and small bearing models. Is this inter seal something I need to find?

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes #6 is an inner seal. It was probably left out because some people believe that with a sealed axle bearing it is not needed. Make sure your axle bearings are the sealed type and install the seals. That is the proper way to assemble a 9" Ford.There are no outer seals,That is the bearing retainer in the picture.

#4 ·
The item that has the 'star' balloon is actually a lip seal. It is used with the tapered roller as shown. This seal is often damaged when installed. Yes, the inner seal is really necessary even with sealed bearings as the gear lube will travel down the tapered axels and gather at the bearings. It will eventually leak past the outer diameter of the ball bearings even with o-ring bearings. You also must have a vent on the housing or you can guarantee leaks.

#5 ·
If you have the sealed ball bearings then you need the inner seal and no outer seal. If you have the tapered roller bearings then you will have a seal on the outside of the bearing. If you use the inner seal with the tapered roller bearing the bearings will go out because they need oil from the rear end. The sealed ball bearings are packed with grease and need no oil from the rear end.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Seems like there are alot of opinions on the subject.
I am not sure if the seals were there or not since I just pulled the axles and took the rest of it to the shop to have it straightened and regeared. The literature says that the old seal will usually be stuck inside the housing, but from what I remember they were not there. On the drivers side there was quite a leak when I bought it, which started me thinking maybe someone forgot to put one in.

I do have the tapered roller berings with the seal that is outboard of the bearing, and it makes sence that the bearing would need lubrication from the oil in the housing. The collar that I removed and the new one that came with the new bearing are quite large and it does not appear that an inboard seal would fit on the milled portion of the axle before it starts to taper.

Housing is already vented.
Mike

#8 ·
Barn Owl said:
Thanks for the replies. Seems like there are alot of opinions on the subject.
I am not sure if the seals were there or not since I just pulled the axles and took the rest of it to the shop to have it straightened and regeared. The literature says that the old seal will usually be stuck inside the housing, but from what I remember they were not there. On the drivers side there was quite a leak when I bought it, which started me thinking maybe someone forgot to put one in.

I do have the tapered roller berings with the seal that is outboard of the bearing, and it makes sence that the bearing would need lubrication from the oil in the housing. The collar that I removed and the new one that came with the new bearing are quite large and it does not appear that an inboard seal would fit on the milled portion of the axle before it starts to taper.

Housing is already vented.
Mike

As BGH stated Tapered Brg's "Do Not" use the inner seal in the housing. You're correct on that Brg needing diff lube to lube it. So dont try and install one.

Most of the housing ends that use that A20 style Brg dont have a spot for the inner seal to press in and most of the axle's for that Brg don't have a machined spot for the seal to ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.