A different type of paint question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2005, 11:58 PM

Last journal entry: The car as I found it.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A different type of paint question

I am going to spray a utility bed for a truck next week, and I am more concerned about the durability than having a show quality finish. Granted I want it to look decent, but perfect is not required. This thing will be beat to death, almost never washed, and treated like a dog. From what info I have came up with, it looks like a polyurethane paint may be the best thing to go with for an application like this. Can you guys give me a thumbs up or a suggestion on a different type of paint? By the way, it is going to be plain old chevy code 50 white, so there is no metallic or pearl to worry about. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2005, 06:47 AM

Last photo:

There is a company out of Mobile, AL

Mobile paints, they are very strong in your state, so call some jobbers and see who carries it.

They have a polyurethane single stage.
Your looking at around a $100 a gallon kit.

Second choice would be U-Tech 3.8 polyurethane (Owned by Sikkens) $125 Kit?

Both of the above are better than Imron or Concept all day long but you will not have the color selection as these are fleet paints.
In this case these are the best buy for the money and they will have your white.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

For durability, you can't really beat a polyurethane based paint. Remember breathing protection and cover exposed skin when shooting these paints. At work we use imron, not a cheap paint by any means. The price Barry gave you for a polyurethane seems like a pretty darn good deal. Polyurethane was brought up on another board I occasionally visit, and don't remember the brand name, but someone was saying they could get a marine polyurethane paint even less then what Barry gave as a price (Don't know, just what the guy had posted). I have no clue if there is any difference in the marine paint and an automotive polyurethane, but the guy said it had a hardener with it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.