Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - differential identification
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
Welding cast iron is not an easy job.
Yes, so I have been told.
I had pulled a 351C - 4V engine out a completely demolished 1971 Torino.
It was slammed so hard that most of the engine peripherals were broken, icluding the exhaust manifolds. (My Dad thought I was nuts ... "expensive boat anchor")

So yeah, one of the exhaust ports had a big chunk missing out of it. Someone suggested taking it up to Ernie Symons in Rocanville, Saskatchewan ... as he was an expert welder. It turns out that this fellow was the inventor of the "Symons Oiler" pump oil can. Who knew?

Quote:
In 1924 a local entrepreneur, Ernie Symons, began mass-production in Rocanville of an oil can that he designed for use on farm and industrial machinery. Symons Oilers proved to be the best of their kind, and a small shop turned into a factory. During World War II, the oil cans were greatly in demand for the maintenance of aircraft, tanks, and other military equipment; by the end of the war, over one million had been produced at the Rocanville plant. On July 1, 1973, the community honoured Ernie Symons for 50 continuous years in business: the day was proclaimed Symons Day, and a giant-scale model oiler was erected on a base at the east entrance to the town. After Symons’ death, the factory was purchased by another company, which changed the oil can’s design; however, it proved unsuccessful and the plant folded in the late 1980s.

BTW ... He fixed it up perfectly!