Hot Rod Forum banner

To dip or not to dip?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bullheimer 
G
#1 ·
I don't know---- what the heck am I doin here? I have a question? I have a little body work left to do on my bow tie. After that is accomplished, I would like to dip it in acid to remove all the old primer and rust. I will need to have a body shop do a frame off resto. Should I have it dipped first or after the body is replaced. Speaking of dipping, what about a galvanize dip before the paint goes on. If so do any of you know if there is a facility in texas or Louisiana that can perform this task.

#3 ·
I absolutly agree with Halloweenking. Have the body dipped first.

When a body is dipped it will remove all the paint, grease and grime and bodywork. It will also remove all rust. A friend dropped a 40 Chevy off at the dippers and got about 3/4 of a car back. It had been a midwest car all it's life so it had a significant amount of rust. The good news is that now he can fix everything that need fixing and will have a rust free solid car when he's done.

I would also caution against galvanized dipping. There are a lot of automotive paint products that may have a problem with a galvanized substrait. Remember all the rear valances on mid 70's and 80's GM cars where the paint peeled off after a year or two. The same could happen to you.

If you want to see what a car looks like after being dipped check out the pics on my site of the 41 construction.

Good luck.

Centerline
<a href="http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com" target="_blank">http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com</A>

#4 ·
#5 ·
i'm picking a a bad vibe here, like maybe you should sell your car and buy one that's already complete. in either case i hope you make/have lots 'o money. i only say this cause anybody would know that a dip is going to remove bondo. and you don't intend to do any work yourself, so let me also tell you that you will spend double what the car will be worth should you decide to sell it. so unless you have your heart set on this vehicle, i would save yourself alot of time, frustration, and money, and buy something you like that has already been resto'd. sfb
ps. i would like to know from you guys that had your cars dipped, how much it cost. thx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.