Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - to dip or not to dip?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 02:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

to dip or not to dip?

No I'm not starting a discussion about chew.
I want information about stripping a complete car down to bare metal by removing paint, bondo, rust and whatever else that doesn't belong.
I have read alot of posts about this subject, on this board as well as others. I would like to have some opinions and experiences on the different types of dipping processes. I know the alternative is to media blast. But I would like to just have a discussion about dipping.
Most of the bad reasons I have read about has to do with the acid, or whatever solution is used, weeping back out of the seams after a period of time. Does this result happen no matter what type of solution is used in the dipping process? I live in central Illinois and there are 2 Redi-Strp facilities north of me. (located in Roselle and Joliet) there is also one in Indianapolis I believe.
They offer to have the car dipped with ospho after the stripping process. Does this have anything to do with preventing problems with the weeping issue and why some people have problems and others don't? If anyone has used any of these places please tell me if you were satisfied with the results and any problems since then. What all did you have done to the car? Was it only stripped or did you have everything done by them? Including primer.
The cost to have this done is not small so I would like to get as much information about this subject, good or bad, before I make a decision about having this done.