Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - to dip or not to dip?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 10:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Randy,
I have read alot of your posts and have thought of sending you an email to see if I could come down and check out your place. Maybe sometime in the spring I can drive down. I have a 1972 Dodge Challenger that I will be redoing some of the body work on and am currently trying to locate a project car for a daily driver. This new project is why I'm really looking into the dipping process. The car line I'm looking at is about 30 years old and if I find one around this area then rust will probably be an issue as well as previous body work and possibly multiple layers of paint. Any car that old will likely have all three.

You mentioned e-coat. What is that?

The person that I mentioned about taking his car to Roselle Redi-Strip said that they used an alkaline solution. This is what he said they did.

"During the process, the car is cleaned, the paint is stripped, the car is rinsed, the car is dipped in the Alkaline (BASE) rust removal tank, the car is then rinsed and dipped into the phosphate tank and then is drained.

The dipping place that we used did not put any protective coating on the car other than the phosphate coating.

While it is true that there will be remains of the phosphate weeping for a few months, it does dry. If the car is mounted on a rotiserie, the draining process is dramatically shortened."

Does this sound like what they do in Evansville?