Hot Rod Forum banner

dip stick question???

775 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DHMag 
#1 ·
I asked this question in the basic forum and i havent recieved must response so i hope no one minds that i repost it here . This is perhaps where i should've p[osted it to start with.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to install my new chrome oil dip stick in my sbc. My question is that it seems to be a fairly tight fit ( doesnt just slide in) im guessing this is the way its supposed to be. So how do i install it? do i put a box wrench on it and tap it in? I just dont want to have issues once its in so i thought i would ask a dumb question instead. :confused:

#2 ·
dip stick

hi,on the dipstick there is a collar,about 2 in from end (bottom of dipstick) put a SMALL amount of silicon on bottom of collar,take a piece of wood, put on top of dipstick, line up dipstick and hole,and tap wood with a hammer. if it doesnt go in tap it HARDER.

#3 ·
tinman386 said:
I asked this question in the basic forum and i havent recieved must response so i hope no one minds that i repost it here . This is perhaps where i should've p[osted it to start with.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to install my new chrome oil dip stick in my sbc. My question is that it seems to be a fairly tight fit ( doesnt just slide in) im guessing this is the way its supposed to be. So how do i install it? do i put a box wrench on it and tap it in? I just dont want to have issues once its in so i thought i would ask a dumb question instead. :confused:
The problem you're having is that the chrome builds some thickness to an already tight fit. There is a bulge where the dip stick sits down on the block. Remove the chrome below that point. Add a little Lock-tite and press the tube in.

Bogie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.