Dipstick incorrect reading ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dipstick incorrect reading ?

I have a SBC with 7 qt oil pan and info from another post I pre-filled oil filter, added 7 qts and trimmed dipstick tube to read "full". I was just topping off the oil and I noticed a 1/2 quart difference if the line faces the engine or the fender. I have had other SBC before however I never noticed a difference in the fill depending on if the dipstick was inserted 180degrees. Now I am wondering if I trimmed it correctly. Is it the oilpan that is giving the difference in readings ? If so which way is correct ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 02:30 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

The Stick should curl away from the motor & have you taken into consideration that after the motor is started .5 qt will be stuck to the inside of the motor?

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 03-13-2009, 05:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
The Stick should curl away from the motor
In this case I think it is not curling correctly or maybe hitting the 7 qt pan, for some reason I get different oil levels on the front side and backside of the dipstick. I guess it is not that big of a deal but just curious what can be causing the difference and one reading must be wrong.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:11 AM

There's always a difference from front to back unless your dipstick goes straight down, but it's not all that much.

I'm curious though about trimming the tube--is that normal when installing a larger pan? I always thought the extra oil just would be added to the volume sitting in the bottom of the pan and the surface level would remain the same so the dipstick wouldn't need altering--maybe I'm wrong about that?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:41 AM

Last photo:

I have noticed a very slight difference in other vehicles. Nothing to really grab my attention. This is like 1/4" w/o measuring it.

Trimming the oil fil tube is not standard practice....but I based it off of an article. I wanted to make sure I had exacty 7 qts + filter in the system....now I am thinking it was not the right thing to do.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:01 AM

1/4"--that's a lot. It must be intersecting the surface of the oil almost horizontally.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

I guess I need to toss the aftermarket junk one and get the proper OEM ones. I know this is a stupid question but is there a proper direction of the aftermarket dipstick (can go in 180 degrees). Still not sure why a difference in oil level depending on which way it is inserted ??

Last edited by y2k600f4; 03-13-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:22 AM

Last photo:

While I am at it I was thinking of swapping my aftermarket summit 7qt oil pan with a stock SBC. Is there anyway that the pan can be interfering with the dipstick (hitting side etc) ?
Old 03-15-2009, 06:11 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the idea in a 7 qt. deep-sump pan isn't to ride around w/7 qts. of oil sloshing around. It's to lower the level of oil down away from the ripro. asse'y. so as to prevent windage losses and frothy oil.

All that adding additional oil will do is take longer to reach stable operating temp. and might extend the change interval some.

That being said, I would simply add whatever amount of oil that you plan to run, to the engine and filter. Then insert the stick oriented in the way that it was when you trimmed the tube.

Don't turn it 180 degrees then worry because it doesn't read the same. You know how much oil is in it, right? Just read it the same way every time- no problem!

EDIT- The main reason for a stick to read differently is because most sticks have a tendency to curve one way or the other.

IF the tube that protrudes down into the sump (inside the pan, guides the stick past the crank/caps and points it downward) was badly bent or worse- missing/broken off- the stick's natural tendency to bend could cause the variation in readings.

Last edited by cobalt327; 03-15-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the idea in a 7 qt. deep-sump pan isn't to ride around w/7 qts. of oil sloshing around. It's to lower the level of oil down away from the ripro. asse'y. so as to prevent windage losses and frothy oil.
Thanks Cobalt for the post. I was not sure if running 5qts (Standard oil pan) in a 7qts was ok since I thought you needed to maintain the oil level at the same distance below the crank. Right now I have the dipstick marked for 7qts + filter and I will just follow your advice and leave it as is. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:29 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Let me quickly add that unless you have a pickup that extends to the bottom of your new pan, run all 7 qts.!

I also added an edit to my previous post.

Good luck.

EDIT- Check your PM's.

Last edited by cobalt327; 03-15-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:52 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

On both my Chevy Trucks with factory external oil coolers , just that system holds a qt by its self.

Not sure if you have a external cooler.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 03-16-2009, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

Cobalt327....thanks for your posts and PMs !

This got me thinking (I may be off so pls correct me if my thinking is flawed). Being that normally you want the oil level relative to the crank does the oil level change from going to a stock SBC 350 crank to a 400 crank as in a 383 stroker ? If so would it be advantagious to lower the oil level to prevent crankase windage from throwing excess oil on the cylinder walls, possibly over working the rings contributing to blowby and burning of the excess oil ?

Also being that I am using a deep sump 8 1/4" pan 7qt (+ fillter )with extended oil pickup I can easily run up to 3 qts lower (stock is 4 qts + filter). The oil pan is a summit G3502 and does NOT have a windage tray. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 PM

oil level

I really am a total amatuer about this stuff, but if dry-sump oil systems work the way they do, then with a stock system as long as the pump pickup is covered at all times, why does it matter how many quarts are in the pan? You can't really measure what's sitting in the pan at 6000 rpm anyway, it's flying all over the place. Isn't the stock oil level just a calculated amount that is meant to keep the pickup immersed no matter what the rpm or the side force G's?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 PM
WFO

Last photo:

The counterweights on a 3.48" crank and a 3.75" crank are very close to the same diameter, so if there's a difference, I think it would be relatively small. I have never measured this though, so would be a good thing to check, I would think.

Of course if you run a couple quarts less than the full capacity of your deep-sump pan, it's a moot point- they'll be plenty of room between the crank/rods spinning around and the oil level in the pan.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.