Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Direct Drive Gears. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/direct-drive-gears-184396.html)

afsog 09-13-2010 06:07 PM

Direct Drive Gears.

Have set of Direct Drive Pete Jackson Gears. Have 400 SBC with Solid Lifters. Is there any truth in the following. "If you have solid Lifters, you cannot or should not install Direct Gear Drive". May damage lifters.?? I hAVE NEVER HEARD THIS BEFORE. I AM THROWING THIS OUT THERE in hopes I find someone with expertise .APPRECIATE YOUR ADVICE. THANKS.

ericnova72 09-13-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afsog
Have set of Direct Drive Pete Jackson Gears. Have 400 SBC with Solid Lifters. Is there any truth in the following. "If you have solid Lifters, you cannot or should not install Direct Gear Drive". May damage lifters.?? I hAVE NEVER HEARD THIS BEFORE. I AM THROWING THIS OUT THERE in hopes I find someone with expertise .APPRECIATE YOUR ADVICE. THANKS.

Where did you here this?? No truth to it.

The dual idler gear drives(Pete Jackson is just one brand) are a less than desirable part to use from any good engine builders standpoint, but solid lifters have nothing to do with it.

F-BIRD'88 09-13-2010 10:58 PM

Some people should just stay away from cars.

Give the gear drive to some one else and leave the hood shut.
There is no power to be had there.

afsog 09-14-2010 02:00 PM

Gears

[ Thank You. I too see no reason why not to istall. Just not familiar with Solid Lifters since I had a 57 Ford 2 dr with Solids. Thanks Again. AFSOG.

afsog 09-14-2010 02:01 PM

Gears

Conversation took plasce during a Car show with one to many Beers. Thanks for your input.

techinspector1 09-14-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afsog

This line of thinking may have been generated from the idea that gear drives will set up harmonics which are harmful to the valvetrain. Apparently, this has sound engineering basics, although I have never personally read of or talked to anyone who has experienced problems related to gear drives.

Some of these things get twisted around by the passing of information from one human to another. If you sit 10 people down in a row, whisper any statement to the first one and have the message be passed from one person to the other by whispering between them, the statement will be completely different when it gets to the 10th person.

So it is with the passing of technical information from one person to another. For instance, engineering techs at Blower Drive Service will tell us that a blower motor will operate best on gasoline using a camshaft with a LSA of 110 degrees and that the same motor on alcohol will operate best with a wider LSA of around 114. That has not kept the rumor at bay that ALL blower motors need a wide LSA, a bogus notion passed from one individual to another to another to another.

afsog 09-14-2010 06:44 PM

Gears

Appreciate the "Technical Advice/Answer", to my original question. That is what I was looking for. Thanks Again.

runn141 09-14-2010 06:59 PM

use the gears, you will notice a difference.

Dirty Biker 09-14-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1
This line of thinking may have been generated from the idea that gear drives will set up harmonics which are harmful to the valvetrain. Apparently, this has sound engineering basics, although I have never personally read of or talked to anyone who has experienced problems related to gear drives.

Some of these things get twisted around by the passing of information from one human to another. If you sit 10 people down in a row, whisper any statement to the first one and have the message be passed from one person to the other by whispering between them, the statement will be completely different when it gets to the 10th person.

So it is with the passing of technical information from one person to another. For instance, engineering techs at Blower Drive Service will tell us that a blower motor will operate best on gasoline using a camshaft with a LSA of 110 degrees and that the same motor on alcohol will operate best with a wider LSA of around 114. That has not kept the rumor at bay that ALL blower motors need a wide LSA, a bogus notion passed from one individual to another to another to another.

So maybe people are getting confused overlap and lsa because they do not always need to go hand in hand. A narow lsa cam can have little overlap with short duration and a wide lsa can have plenty overlap with lots duration.

afsog 11-01-2010 10:32 AM

P. Jackson Direct Dr. Gears

Ok Guys, here we go again. I too like some before me, have "Misplaced" Installation Inst. Puzzled on Clearance from Cam Gear to Eng Block & Clearance from Timing Cover to Cam Gear? Included in set, is a "Button Cap"? Which if I recall Instruction states,"Ck clearance from Cam Gear to cover by installing Cap/ Button on Gear & apply Putty to "Button/ Cap". install cover, ck for clearance?? What is Clearance suppose to be? Am i even close to what correct installation procedure should be? If anyone out there has a copy of instructions,would you be so kind as to post that step? Thanks.

68NovaSS 11-01-2010 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of links and an instruction sheet for PJ gear drives.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/In.../Files/117.pdf

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/stal...spc-92191.html

afsog 11-01-2010 05:15 PM

PJ Gears.

First & Foremost, Thank you for the Comp Cams link. Now that I am Retired I tend to have plenty of time on my hands & look for "Stuff" to do on my 210, 57. The way I see it "How else am I going to learn if I don't dive into it" which is exactly what I am doing. Prior to disassembly, I placed the eng @ TDC. Rotated Crank, Dist points to #1 Cyl. #1 Cyl Piston can be felt at TDC with screwdriver through sparkplug hole. Removed Timing Cover.Camshaft Gear (Top) was pointing @ 12 O'Clock. Crankshaft Gear (Bottom) pointing @ 12 O'Clock. According to Inst.sheet in Compcams link, and I quote, "The mark on the Crank Sprocket will be at 12 O'clock (Straight up) and Mark on Cam Sprocket at 6.Well quess what? Mine is as follows: Cam Gear @ 6 O'clock, Crank Gear @ 12. I know I did something wrong, now, how do I fix it? Appreciate any input. Thanks Guys. AFSOG. :

afsog 11-01-2010 05:18 PM

PJ Gears.

Misprint!! Cam Gear at 12 O'Clock. Crank Gear at 12 O'clock.

68NovaSS 11-01-2010 05:34 PM

You're OK, with 12/12 with #1 at TDC, both valves closed, you're ready to fire #1. The reference on the sheet regarding "TDC" in both alignment positions, is only the pistons are at TDC, period. In one, position cyl #6 is ready to fire, in the other #1 is ready to fire.

Would be at the top of the exhaust stroke #1, top of compression #6, which it is when the dots are cam 6 crank 12 (together).

I'm not great at explaining it, but you get the picture?

afsog 11-01-2010 08:21 PM

PJ Gears.

Again Super Thanks! Maybe I am not to good at understanding the whole answer but, I did key in on your first sentence! "You're OK with 12/12 with #1 @TDC Both Valves closed.
QUESTIONS: How will this effect the Initial Cranking of Eng & setting Timing ?Will any other adjustments have to be made prior to Cranking? Thanks Again.