Dirt cheap DIY shop air dryer set up. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 06:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Dirt cheap DIY shop air dryer set up.

I was killing time by browsing the forum and noticed several ppl have asked what to do about condensate in their air lines. I had the same problem and after a day or so of work and a few bucks I came up with a solution that has worked flawless for me. Below is a link to how I built my own condensate removal system and I hope it helps someone that doesnt mind a little DIY type project.

(BTW, no laughing at the flower decorations on the cabinates in my garage please...it was there when I moved in and since Ive taken a liking to it I decided not to remove it )

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sho...air+compressor

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 08:40 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Nice set up. Just wondering if an air conditioner radiator would work in place of the oil/trans cooler. I have no idea what those units are rated at for psi - but it's what I've got laying around.

Dewey
Old 02-06-2006, 10:23 AM
brains

Last photo:

Best thing in the world are the toilet paper canister filters. You can buy them at a paint supply store they cost about 80-90$.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Wix has a subsiduary called Aquacheck Filters that make an inexpensive spin-on compressed-air water filter (That's a bit of a mouthful)

We used to sell them at the NAPA store that I worked at.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
Wix has a subsiduary called Aquacheck Filters that make an inexpensive spin-on compressed-air water filter (That's a bit of a mouthful)

We used to sell them at the NAPA store that I worked at.
Problem with filters is they have to be changed. The above described system is maintenance free.

Vince
Old 02-06-2006, 12:36 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsboy
Best thing in the world are the toilet paper canister filters. You can buy them at a paint supply store they cost about 80-90$.
Brainsboy, do you happen to know any web sites with this canister? Is it pretty much the same as the Aquacheck shown in the other post?
Old 02-06-2006, 02:31 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

You, my friend, are a genius!

I was thinking of something similar for a friend of mine that does some painting.

Now you just need to learn to stop giving your ideas away on the internet and patent them
Old 02-06-2006, 04:55 PM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

i build something simular, but like the idea of the 555 timers... that is a nice touch... i hate bending down to bleed off the compressor. but where i am at, condensation is a daily thing... even in the winters.... my radiator setup goes good for blasting about an hour before i gotta stop and drain. i use about 30Ft of 1/2" copper tubing plus a water trap. then the 100 ft 3/8 line to a small trap, and i occasionally still get some water at the tool end.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78novaman
You, my friend, are a genius!
Thanks for the compliment but in reality Im prolly closer to being classified as "cheap" in that I build something I need if at all possible before buying it.

Quote:
I was thinking of something similar for a friend of mine that does some painting.
Ive used this set up to paint a couple of projects so far with no problems so far. I do still use the small disposable filters that are normally seen attached to the air line connection at the paint gun for extra insurance though.

Quote:
Now you just need to learn to stop giving your ideas away on the internet and patent them
I looked into that on another idea/project and for your average blue collar Joe Schmoe like me it was WAY more than I could afford when it came to hiring a lawyer to do the patent search as well as the multi page submittal form that is ~3/4" thick .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsapp
i build something simular, but like the idea of the 555 timers... that is a nice touch... i hate bending down to bleed off the compressor.
The 555s are prolly a little more complicated than needed to be but its what I had in my electronics junk box at the moment.
Quote:
but where i am at, condensation is a daily thing... even in the winters....
I just noticed your location and I can see why condensate would be an issue. While Im no expert I bet a condensor with more area than mine as well as an automated drain set up with shorter blow down times than mine would help if not cure completely any moisture issues.
Quote:
i use about 30Ft of 1/2" copper tubing plus a water trap. then the 100 ft 3/8 line to a small trap, and i occasionally still get some water at the tool end.
As you can see in the pics I dont have anywhere near that length of copper line and Ive never gotten a single drop of water at the tool end even after 6-8 solid hours of die grinder work. As I mentioned an educated guess is that a bigger condensor shorter intravels between blow downs along with your existing copper tubing length would help a lot.

Anyways, I hope my little project either helped someone with a condensate issue or inspired someone to improve on what I did so that works even better.....and thanks for not giving me grief about the flower decorated cabinates in the garage .
Old 02-06-2006, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

nothing wrong with a little "flower power".... but yeah i really like your idea on the 555 timer. it has been years since i used my breadboard... maybe i should take it out and see what i can get going. where did you get the solenoid valves from? any idea on the cost?

thanks, JD
Old 02-06-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Nice set up. Just wondering if an air conditioner radiator would work in place of the oil/trans cooler. I have no idea what those units are rated at for psi - but it's what I've got laying around.

Dewey
Dewey,

Im guessing an AC condensor would work as far as pulling the moisture out of the air but since I really dont know what pressures HVAC stuff is good for I cant say for sure. Maybe an HVAC guy on here could chime in and let us both know but if it was me I would be leary of it. As Im sure youre aware if HVAC condensor was to fail due to over pressure the shrapnel would be potentialy lethal .
Old 02-06-2006, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

i was setting up an old yorkshire AC compressor to make a mini junkyard compressor running from a 5hp B/S motor, and from the article i read the yorkshire compressor puts out 400psi, possibly the high pressure side of the AC condensor should handle the 120psi normally from an air compressor. i kind of like the idea on the ac condensor too... might be over kill though... with my 30FT 1/2"copper radiator already, but then again, we do ahve a lot of moisture out here averaging out to 80% humidity year round...
Old 02-06-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsapp
where did you get the solenoid valves from? any idea on the cost?

thanks, JD
JD,

The valves came out of a large HVAC control panel that I found at a non auto metal scrap yard. While its only a guess on my part it looks like older large HVAC set ups are pneumatically controlled since the schemtaics inside the panel that was full of these valves had labelling "reheat circ to shipping" as well as other labels that named various parts of what seemed to be a manufacturing plant.

Anyways, I pulled a hand full of the valves out and stashed them in my "parts that I might need one day" pile but since the valves came in a panel I salvaged I dont know the individual price but Im guessing that ppl like MSC Supply, Grainger, or similar carry them. I would be more than happy to get a part # and manufacturer off the label on them if that would help you.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

that would help. i do remember getting a pneumattic catalog a few years back(well 12 years since i been out of tech school) that had some 12v solenoid valves. guess i gotta go dig that up...

thanks, JD
Old 02-06-2006, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

First PUT A GUARD ON THAT FAN! Anyway nice set-up

Cboy, I have a buddy that has a Ford Ranger evaporator core rigged similar to that trany cooler and it works really good but it is on a small compressor. The core was tested to 175 PSI and is operated at 120 max but I am fairly sure it would safely run much more pressure than that, it would be simple to test it first. Whatever type of cooler is used make sure the inside tubes lay horizontal and not vertical since the loop at the bottom, if vertical, could cause problems.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.