Dirty Oil .....high useage ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dirty Oil .....high useage ?

I would like to ask for facts/ opinions on this subject........Would very dirty ( Black ) oil tend to get past the rings and be used/ burned in a engine that has high mileage but does not use it normally ?.....Reason that I ask is a discussion about this came up with coworkers. One swore that he bought a DD that the PO sold because it was using oil, he said he changed the oil and filter three times in a row until he was able to go more than a few miles with out the oil turning black again and it quit using oil at the rate it had been and is still doing the same about 1 year later.I have worked on cars for over 50 years and never heard or seen any thing like this. Only thing that i could think of was the oil viscosity got very thin as it loaded up and was able to go past rings that normally would not allow that much oil past the rings.
So what do you think.....
Kenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 03:54 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

sounds like an engine that had a stuck ring or two.. and it cleared up.. from clean oil and use..
or just cleaned out the oil drain back holes in the heads.. so the valves where not swimming in oil anymore..
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Maybe he used a non detergent oil and it got gunked up to the point of sealing everything.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby1 View Post
I would like to ask for facts/ opinions on this subject........Would very dirty ( Black ) oil tend to get past the rings and be used/ burned in a engine that has high mileage but does not use it normally ?.....Reason that I ask is a discussion about this came up with coworkers. One swore that he bought a DD that the PO sold because it was using oil, he said he changed the oil and filter three times in a row until he was able to go more than a few miles with out the oil turning black again and it quit using oil at the rate it had been and is still doing the same about 1 year later.I have worked on cars for over 50 years and never heard or seen any thing like this. Only thing that i could think of was the oil viscosity got very thin as it loaded up and was able to go past rings that normally would not allow that much oil past the rings.
So what do you think.....
Kenny
If the coworker used a 'high mileage' motor oil or an additive that softened the valve stem seals and/or slowed leakage out of the engine that wasn't being burned in the first place, that might have bought him some reduction in motor oil use. It could even be something as simple as how the new owner drives compared to the seller's driving habits- hard driving will obviously tend to use more oil than driving it easy. The amount of miles driven matters, too.

In any event I usually chalk this type of 'evidence' up to wishful thinking and the placebo effect.

BTW, black oil is not necessarily an indication of how "dirty" it is. But I follow what you're saying.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Possibly, the old black oil was so thinned with gas that it was getting by the rings and the new thicker oil didnt. But that would have cleared up the burning oil almost right away
Old 12-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Thanks everyone for the replies....I personally thought the guy was BS ing me as I had installed new valve seals in this motor about a year or so before this guy bought the car , the PO never changed the oil after he got it back from me .the man has a history of not taking care of his cars. Any way I was trying to find some reasoning behind this....also the oil being gasoline polluted never crossed my mind and that makes perfect sense. Thanks guys
Kenny
Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Born To Be Mild

Last photo:

I´ve taken oil out of cars that has been black but also ran
out like water, totally used up.
Last one was an Alfa Romeo, last oil change "A little over three years ago".
Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Motor Oil, Transmission Fluids & Synthetic Oil | Quaker State

MOTOR OIL MYTH VS. FACT

Want to know the inside scoop on some of today's most notorious oil myths within the automotive world? Well we've got you covered. Select a myth from the pull-down below, and we'll give you nothing but the facts.

Myth: Oil Color
You can tell the condition of oil by the look, smell or color of it. And if it turns dark or black quickly, it’s no good.

Fact:
Nothing could be further from the truth. If the oil is doing its job of cleaning the engine, then it should be dirty when it is drained. Quaker StateŽ motor oil will start looking dirty a short time after it is put to use. In the case of diesel engines, the oil may look dirty within a few hours of operation. These are signs that the motor oil is doing its job of keeping soot, dirt and other combustion contaminants in suspension to be carried to the filter or removed from the crankcase when the oil is changed. Quaker State motor oils have been formulated to hold these contaminants in suspension until they can be removed with an oil and filter change.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.