Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Disappointment with new cam/head swap
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Disappointment with new cam/head swap

Hello,

Recently did a cam/head swap on my 350 chevy. Originally it had "487" casting heads, a 204/212 duration cam, and a performer intake with a quadrajet carb. The motor ran fine before I did the swap. The motor has flattop pistons. I put on vortec heads that have a z/28 type spring good for .550 lift. The cam I used is a comp extreme energy 218/224 duration .462/.469 lift. I used a cloyes true roller timing set that had 3 different ways to install the cam. We installed the cam "straight up" because I was told the cam already has 4 degrees advance ground into it. I used a .041 head gasket. I also put on a performer rpm intake. I am really dissappointed in the performance I am getting. In fact I think it ran better with my old setup. Currently running 12* initial advance, 32* all in by 2800 rpm. About 48* total with vacuum advance plugged in. It just seems the motor is really unresponsive for being almost 10:1 compression. Any ideas of where to start looking for where I went wrong? Thanks.