disassembly: pistons frozen... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: It wasn't quite out...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

disassembly: pistons frozen...

454 shortblock sitting under a tarp outside for several years. I'm going to snag the rods and crank out of it for a new build...Tried to turn the motor over by the crank counter-weight and it's not happening. I oiled her up and took off the timing chain and she's still not moving...

Any tips as to what I should do---before I do something retarded and ruin good parts?

can I just hammer the rod caps off, throw some hose over the rod bolts, stick a hammer handle onto the bottom of the piston and hammer them out?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

"can I just hammer the rod caps off, throw some hose over the rod bolts, stick a hammer handle onto the bottom of the piston and hammer them out?"

That's pretty much how I'd do it if I were in a hurry. If I had some time, I would mount the short block to an engine stand, squirt a little diesel fuel into each hole every day and give a yank clockwise and counter-clockwise on a long breaker bar every day. Sooner or later, the rings will break free and you'll save the pistons.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: It wasn't quite out...
Last photo:

so it's ok to use a hammer to tap, tap, tap on those rod caps? I will try some diesel...I've got until thursday to have this all the way stripped down.
I don't foresee myself reusing the pistons at any point...but who knows.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable
so it's ok to use a hammer to tap, tap, tap on those rod caps? I will try some diesel...I've got until thursday to have this all the way stripped down.
I don't foresee myself reusing the pistons at any point...but who knows.
I'll tell you how things go for me. If I destroyed the ring lands by pounding them out, somebody would call next week and offer me 200 bucks for them in good shape because they knew I was tearing down a big block. If I soaked and yanked and saved them, they'd sit on the shelf until someone in my family threw them away after I croaked.

Last edited by techinspector1; 05-18-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I just when't through that process last summer with a friends 402. It sat for 8 yrs. under a tarp. Forget trying to turn it over! it wouldn't budge with a pinch bar! We flipped it over and sanded the cylinders with 100 grit from the top of the block to the top of the pistons, shot some pb blaster in and flipped it back over and filled the cylinders with diesel to the bottom of the skirts on the pistons and let it sit till the next week end.
We still had to pound a little but it came apart a lot easier than we thought it would. We did damage a couple of pistons but the crank and rods were what we were wanting to save and they all came out in good shape.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 AM

I often end up with frozen core motors in the shop and made a little tool
for doing just this.
I took about a 3 foot long piece of 1/2" diameter steel, cut the end off an old air chisel bit, welded it to the end of the steel round stock.
Stuck the round stock in a lathe and ground a 45 degree point on it, but that could be done on a grinder, it doesn't need to be pretty.
Take the bolts off the cap, stick the tool in an air chisel and pound them out from underneath. Works like a charm.
(Note, I rarely try to preserve stock pistons, if you are this probably won't work as it beats the heck out of the pistons and sometimes punches holes in them)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

I would use a brass hammer. Don't hit them too hard cause you could bend the caps. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Sometimes sticking a 2x4 in the cylinder and giving the pistons a few easy shots will also help to get the oil between the rings / pistons and the cylinder wall.
We have always used Marvel Mystery oil freeing up stuck engines but I have heard the transmission fluid trick works well.

PB Blaster is a great penetrating oil and I am sure it would probably work very well, I have never used it on a stuck piston that I can recall.

The key is to stay at it. Soak it, put pressure on it, repeat as often as possible.
I have also seen someone just break the pistons if they didnt care about them. You do risk damaging the block however.

Chet

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.