Hot Rod Forum banner

Disc Brake Conversion 1961 Chevy Truck

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  monteman70 
#1 ·
Would like info converting to power disc brakes on 1961 Chevy Pickup w/ torsion bar front suspension. I've heard you can use 1973-1987 pickup parts, do you have to change balljoints and/or steering parts.

#2 ·
Not sure if it's exactly like your's but I have a 64 Chevy 1/2ton, that I changed to disc. brakes. I got the disc brakes assmy and rotors out of a junk yard, they were off a 75 GMC truck. Then you take your original "A" arms and remove the ball joints. You replace them with new ball joints for a 75 truck (I'm guessing the shaft on the ball joints are different). Lastly you need to replace the outer tie rods. Again the shafts are different, but not the threaded end (you keep the original inner tie rods and the threaded adjuster). Now all you have to do is bolt the stuff up. You will have to have a proportioning valve in the brake lines between the the front disc brakes and the rear drums. That and a brake booster for power brakes, which is normally one unit. Good Luck! ...Mark

#5 ·
Monteman

I have a 64 chevy pick-up that I have been using 1980 disc brakes and power-steering. I have around 60,000 mi on these parts and they work very well. If you have any specific questions you can e-mail me directly at kadpjd@comcast.net.

Paul

PS; I will be upgrading to C4 Corvette upgrading suspension/brakes/steering within the next few months if you are inteseted in parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.