Disc Brake Conversion 55,56 Buick - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2002, 03:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Disc Brake Conversion 55,56 Buick

Has anyone done a front disc brake conversion to a 55, 56 Buick Special. I see Master Powers Kit but it seems a bit pricey.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2003, 11:32 PM

Last photo:

1955 Brakes

I have checked all dimensions but try this at your own risk. I have purchased new wilwood disk brake "hats" and disks from speedwaymotors.com I had a set of 78 GMC caliper lying around. All you need to do is make a 1/2" steel 5 7/8" circle with the same rectangular hole in the center with another "L" bracket bolted behind the Circular one that positions the caliper at a 45 degree angle behind the wheel. Hats=$140 Disks=$20 + cost of steel and a torch ( or access to a friends), fittings to convert your brake lines. *****Cheap*******
Old 12-21-2003, 11:12 PM

Last photo:

Caliper Bracket 1955 Buick disk brakes

I ordered the 2" brake hat and test fit everything again. I had to grind the hub itself doen to fit inside the hat. I have to make the holes in the hat bigger for the wheel bolts. My original theory was to make a two piece bracket. Upon further inspection only one piece is necessary. If you take apart your front drum brake assembly you will find a metal/rubber dust seal that is attatched to the same bolt holes that holds on the backing plate. Remove this and you have a template for the spindle portion of the bracket. I used a thin piece of plywood to make my template. I cut out the spindle side of the template and then left room to wittle a location for the caliper. I cut too much away the first time so I made another, the second try was much better. Now all I have left is to borrow a torch and cut out the metal and then grind the edges. I'll update this again when I get it done along with a pictorial. I can duplicate the template for you if you wish and give you part numbers for the other stuff. I hope this helps!
Old 12-22-2003, 08:55 AM

Last photo:

Disc Brake conversion 55,56 Buick

Hi:
Thanks for the update. Yes, I would very much be interested in pictures, part numbers and the template. Thanks Again, from Jack.
Attached is a picture of my 56 Buick Wagon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jcs buick2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	846  
Old 12-22-2003, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

Where are you from?

Hey I guess your from LA somewhere judging by the picture. Where are you from?

Maybe we could hit some cruise nights.

Later Charles
Old 12-26-2003, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

Teaser

Here's a teaser. I have to get a patent now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	873  
Old 12-26-2003, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

Disc Brakes

Hey thats looking very good. I cant wait to get all the particulars. I live in San Bernardino, CA. I am a member of the Over the Hill Gang car club. However my Buick dont qualify as its a club for pre-48 cars. But I have had a number of thosein the past, most notably a 32 2dr sedan, 32 Hiboy roadster, 41 Willys Pickup and etc.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:24 PM

Last photo:

Patents and such

Ok, I called ISC Invention submissions corperation. They say that I have to take time off of work to meet with this guy in Irvine and let him decide if this piece is patentable. To me that sound kinda shady. Should I even bother with it and just start selling these things or should I go through with it. I'd hate to get screwed by someone I sold a kit to to go and get a patent which would in turn make it so that I could not sell my Idea. On the other hand it is simply just putting parts together and fabricating a bracket. Opinion>?

Ok well I have decided that it won't be worth it to patent. So from here I have three venues availiable to me. 1) Sell the information only with a parts list 2) Sell the information, a parts list, with modified parts ( and run the risk of being sued) or 3) Make complete kits with modified parts included. (also running risk of being sued) I thought I could make some money on this and maybe fund some future projects for my car. But I guess it's not worth it because anyone with the parts that I purchased could figure out how to make a simple bracket to mount a caliper. So, tomorrow I will make three set of caliper brackets I will probably list one set on ebay. Put one set on my car and the third set I will sell to my friend Edgar with the 54 buick. So how much is this info worth?

Last edited by chuk0823; 01-02-2004 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Update

I made several blank brackets yesterday and drilled holes in one "good" set. I found today when I tried to mock up again that I hadn't ground down the hub enough, the four mounting holes were off by just a smidge and the caliper rubs on my aftermarket rims. So, I have some room between the caliper and the rotating disk that I can reduce to try to eliminate the rubbing on the rims. I guess I get to try again. So goes the battle.....
Old 01-04-2004, 10:12 PM

Last photo:

I was just wondering what size wheels your using. The wheels on my wagon are Boyd's 17". Do you think they might clear the calipers. I also have a stock power brake booster system. What type of master cyclinder do you intend to use. Thanks for all the updates, I am very interested in your progress.

Jack
Old 01-05-2004, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

I am using those cheap 15" smothies. The disk is a 12" disk. Yeah it should clear your boyds. I am using a stock GMC van caliper but wilwood has some smaller calipers for a reasonable price. I am going to get mine done and then I guess I could fab up some "bigger brakes" I'll keep you posted. I have to give this project a rest for a week or so. Too many problems to think about and get it all right and safe. Can't wait to see your car in person though. Let me know where you will be taking it.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:35 PM

Disc Brake Conversion

Anyone know how close your 55 Buicks are to my 55 Olds with respect to converting to front discs? I know Fat Man has dropped spindles for my Olds and is the only fabricator that I know of who does offer conversion besides the front clip option, however, I'm not sure if Fat Man is the way to go. I still have the problem of updating the mastercylinder/pedal and I haven't found a unit specific for my model/year. When I add up the cost of updated generic components, including installation costs, I get close to the cost of a new front clip with everything already there. So, I'm a little frustrated as to the lack of fabricators/suppliers for mid-50s GM, but this forum is a great resource. Thanks for any comments!
Old 01-05-2004, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

My solution to the master cylinder booster situation is to remote mount one in the trunk. As for the 55 olds thing I think they are the same a arms and uprights. Here's a picture of my bare setup that I've been working with. Does it apear to be the same?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	975  
Old 01-07-2004, 06:05 PM

DBConv55Buick/Olds

The photo of your Buick suspension looks very simular, do you have others? Your Buick has king pins also?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

Ok I don't have any other bare spindle pictures but..... When you take off your backing plate the four bolts that hols it on should measure 4 1/2" by 3 3/16". I had to make a rectangular hole for the spindle to fit through my bracket and that hole is 2 1/2 by 6. Try to measure yours and use my picture as a reference and if it is the same when I get my Bracket finished I will post a pictorial on how to make your own.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.