Disc brake conversion problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Disc brake conversion problem

I installed a new disc brake conversion kit on my 1967 firebird. It's a disc/disc setup from Classic performance. All the lines are new as well as m/c, 9" booster and proportioning valve. The rear calipers are cam style e-brake calipers.
Ok enough of background here's my problem. To begin with I had no pedal b/c I did not have the ebrake set correctly. Got that fixed now I pedal ( not great but there) now when I start the engine I have ok pedal but when I rev the engine I lose all pedal. The engine is pulling 11" vac at idle and 15" at 2500 rpm. What should i be looking for?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducrider123
I installed a new disc brake conversion kit on my 1967 firebird. It's a disc/disc setup from Classic performance. All the lines are new as well as m/c, 9" booster and proportioning valve. The rear calipers are cam style e-brake calipers.
Ok enough of background here's my problem. To begin with I had no pedal b/c I did not have the ebrake set correctly. Got that fixed now I pedal ( not great but there) now when I start the engine I have ok pedal but when I rev the engine I lose all pedal. The engine is pulling 11" vac at idle and 15" at 2500 rpm. What should i be looking for?
First you need to validate all the calipers are installed correctly. Bleeder screws at the top. Once you have verified that, you need to bleed the system to remove all the air. If you still have issues the easiest way to resolve them is to isolate the 2 systems(front and rear) to see where the issue is. You can do this by removing a line from the master cylinder and inserting a plug to test the front and rear brake systems separately.

Generally a no brake issue on a new system is due to improper bleeding , improper caliper installation or defective parts, in that order

Chet
Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

before you put the M/C on did you bench bleed it? if you didnt , start there and take it off and bench bleed it.then continue to bleed the rear of the system, starting farthest from the M/C, which is the passenger side rear then go to driver side rear, then pass front , the driver front last.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:39 PM

ok I verified the calipers are on correctly. I set the emergency brake calipers. and in the morning I am going to bleed the brakes using a vacuum bleeder. and see if that helps. I do have one question: I have heard of air getting trapped in the master cylinder if the nose of the m/c is pointed up. Instead of removing the master cylinder totally can i just tilt the nose of it down and vac bleed the brakes to remove the possible air? I did bench bleed the m/c before i installed it.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 PM

The tech guy from classic performance just called me back and said I need to drill a new pivot hole 1" lower the the one on the pedal now. I measured the lever and it is 13" long and the original hole was 3" down now I put it 4" down . I now have a harder pedal now, but I can lengthen the rod for a longer throw. Is this a bad idea?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.