Disc brake decision for a 1957 Ford - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2005, 03:16 PM
It is now Saturday, everyday!!

Last journal entry: Project '57 Ranchero
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Disc brake decision for a 1957 Ford

I building a '57 Ranchero. Power disc brakes have always been in the plan. The decision I have is to convert over to Granada spindles or use a kit that converts the original spindles to disk brakes. Both will provide 11" rotors. The Granada spindles need to be reamed to fit the '57 lower ball joint. In other words, the '57 lower ball joint connection is larger than the Granada's raising my concern regarding strength. When you look at the two spindles, the original '57 spindle ball joint material is greater.

My question has to do with the spindles with regards to safety. Is there a concern about the larger ball joint connection? The Granada spindle is the preferred Mustang conversion approach but the Mustang is a lighter car.

Does the Granada spindle have the benefit of 15 years newer metallurgy and made to address the heat of disc brakes? But then again the original '57 spindles will certainly insure original geometry but the Granada's are very close.

As additional information, I'm planning on installing a power Rack & Pinion steering setup. Don't know if that is important to this issue or not. It will have a small block Ford motor and C4 for a few pounds taken off the front. This car will be my daily driver on So. Calif. freeways and 5-7k miles a year.

You comments are welcomed. Thx in advance, r

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005, 03:23 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
As additional information, I'm planning on installing a power Rack & Pinion steering setup. Don't know if that is important to this issue or not. It will have a small block Ford motor and C4 for a few pounds taken off the front. This car will be my daily driver on So. Calif. freeways and 5-7k miles a year.
Let's start here first. What setup R&P? Need to know for correct spindle type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2005, 06:21 PM

Last photo:

I have been looking at http://www.wurthitdesigns.com/57Ford.htm

thx, r
Old 05-17-2005, 06:58 PM
aka Duke of URL

OK...Just wanted to make sure you weren't considering a MUST II conversion. There is also now available a modified SAGINAW box conversion that will rid you of the linkage P/S.

As for disc brake conversion, the 70's intermediate spindle conversion seems to be a little heavier than the GRANADA.

Which system(s) interest you and I will post the info.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

Disc options

The first and what I did before was the spindles off of a '74 Mercury Montego. Early 70 Torinos and Montegos go right on and are stout. I could do this again but getting to old for this level of pick-n-pull.

Next, is the Master Power Brakes. They utilize the original '57 spindles which has a nice ring and look like a quality product and all new USA made rotors, Calipers, etc. They like new USA stuff.

Third is DC Enterprises which use the Granada spindles. Another clean setup but my Ranchero might be heavier than the Granada. Components are re-manufactured with the spindles giving up some lower ball joint material as they must be reamed.

Replacing the 292 Y-block and cast iron automatic with a 302 or 351 and C4 should remove about 250-300 lbs off the front end. I think the Ranchero will weigh in at 2800-3000 lbs when done.

I'm interested in the pros and cons of the latter two options. Remember this is a long time driver for me. Safety followed by reliability followed by driving enjoyment are my priorities.

thx, r
Old 05-18-2005, 03:04 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Next, is the Master Power Brakes. They utilize the original '57 spindles which has a nice ring and look like a quality product and all new USA made rotors, Calipers, etc. They like new USA stuff.
I think you will find that the MPB KIT (among others) uses GM componenets...

The GRANADA spindle will hold the FORD and has been popular for the 57/64 upgrade. The intermediate is best in my opinion and a large yard should not charge too much to remove the components.

-FORD FRONT DISC BRAKE OPTIONS-

Let us know what you decide...
Old 05-18-2005, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

Great input!

Great input and threads.

You know, deep down inside a voice kept saying "...lets do the Torino Montego setup again..." Since a friend and I are going to get an engine and tranny for the '57 I guess I will take my pickle fork. Those kits are tempting though with all the pieces/parts.

thx for the information, r

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.