Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Disc Brake Question.
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 AM
68 Camaro Convertible, 327 RS

Wiki Edits: 0

Disc Brake Question.

I have a '68 Camaro which came with the original 4-piston brake caliper. After several rebuilds (and lots of $$$) i gave up on them and installed a single piston conversion system. I believe that the new brakes are referred to as D52 style brakes.

The brakes work fine, but they do not seem to have the same stopping power as I am used. Admittedly, I don't know what this particular car brake system should feel like as I never had a proper working front brake system....but compared to other cars I have driven (new and old), it doesn't seem to have that snap stopping capability. (Am I making a mistake comparing this to a modern disc brake system?)

BTW, master cylinder, flex hoses, lines, booster and complete rears (drum) brakes have all been replaced/rebuilt. The system has been purged properly.

Is this a result of the replacement cast iron single piston caliper? Will I get better results with something like a Wilwood dual calipers?
Input and opinions welcome.
Thanks!
Vic Brincat