disc brake solid front axle for my ratrod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 02:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

disc brake solid front axle for my ratrod

I'm currently putting together a 53 dodge panel truck as a low budget rat rod. My goal is to assemble the vehicle entirely from junkyard and swapmeet parts. So far, I mounted an early 90's ford 5.0 and aod trans with the factory ford headers, so now i'm on to front suspension. I'd like to go with a solid front axle on leafs with discs. The stock leafs are garbage, so I need to find a doner vehicle with leafs. Of course, I want the front suspension to sit relatively low, or at least around stock height. Any suggestions for a doner vehicle? Also, while at the local pic-ur-part i noticed an early 90's 2 WHEEL DRIVE jeep cherokee sitting on a solid axle. Has anyone ever tried using one of these? If its wide enough, it seems like a cheap and easy axle to install, and parts for it are cheap and available anywhere. Any info or tips appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 07:26 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

You may be in luck on a Mopar as I have been told that the later rotors fit the early spindles...Now that conversation took place some time ago so it may be...at least worth a try before you go to the trouble of changing the whole front end..

Mopar used the same front spindles and axles up to the mid 70's and some of those had disks..do a search for Mopar disks on the site and see what comes up..

Sam

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.