disc brakes, 56 chev - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 01:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

disc brakes, 56 chev

Got a question about front brake conversion on 56 chev. I would like to convert my front drum brakes to disc without spending $500. If I retain the stock* spindals, and get $99 backing plates etc. from Summit or some other supplier, would this work to keep cost down? Any suggestions where or what way to go? Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

check ebay, i converted my 55 (sold) with a kit off of ebay that used stock spindles and brackets, it was not that expensive.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:06 PM

Last photo:

thanks for info Rustycarr. I think I`ll get one on ebay. What about a master cyl? Thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Most of the conversions retain the original spindles. The key to have the brackets made which hold the calipers. The kits are the easiest because everything supposedly fits. You will also need a new inner bearing race and a rotor that matches the race along with inner and outer bearings. You can use a GM caliber which is easy to find. I'd find out what the kits use as far as parts and go from there. If you still have the original drum brake master cylinder, you'd want to replace that with a disc brake master cylinder which feeds disc in the front and drum brakes in the rear. I'd also advice putting a adjustable proportioning valve in the line to the rear drum brakes.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Last photo:

One of the best and most common is the 67-69 Corvette master cylinder. You can get them in non power, power 4 wheel disc, and disc/drum. Do not go with a rebuilt, the new ones are not that expensive and will save you a bunch of headaches. Raybestos is one of the better master cylinders IMHO.

Vince
Old 11-13-2010, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
One of the best and most common is the 67-69 Corvette master cylinder. You can get them in non power, power 4 wheel disc, and disc/drum. Do not go with a rebuilt, the new ones are not that expensive and will save you a bunch of headaches. Raybestos is one of the better master cylinders IMHO.

Vince
I agree with 302 Z28... That's what I'm running with 4 wheel disc on my truck. And I'm a FORD man!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

Ok, guys. As I understand the comments, I can get a new 67-69 Corvette m.c.
and it will mount to my current firewall bolt pattern on the 56 chev. Right?
What would I ask for in a proportioning vavle or block? Thanks
Old 11-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

It should bolt right up where your old master cylinder was. Just in case, measure the distance of the two mounting holes and that will tell you for sure. You also want to measure the brake rod which goes into the piston portion of the master cylinder. GM has two types. One has a shallow indentation on the piston for the rod to go in (power brakes) and another where the rod goes further in the piston (manual disc brakes). If you take your old MC in they should be able to see which one you need. Most GM master cylinders had the same bolt pattern, including Pontiac, Buick, and are interchangable, etc.
As for the proportioning valve, I'd recommend Wilwood. They are little more expensive but well worth it for brake items.
Here's their website on info for the valves, etc. Good luck!
http://wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/M...derValves.aspx
Old 11-13-2010, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

ok Kleen56 and others for your help. I`ll go to napa and get new m.c. and go with wilwood proportionong valve. Is there instructions for adjustment on the valve I need to set pressures for disc. and drum? Thanks
Old 11-13-2010, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

There is instructions included. It's pretty straightforward. Cut the line and splice the proportioning valve in the line. You want to install it in the line that feeds the rear drum brakes. Once the lines are bled, drive the car. If the rear feel like they want to lock up, you simply adjust it to where the brake feel good and when you slam on the brakes, the rear drum don't send you into a spin. (especially on a rainy day or slick roads).

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.