Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (
-   -   disc breakes (

mikefullwood 03-11-2010 08:47 AM

disc breakes
i have a 1971 chevelle with drum brakes. i want to change with disc brakes what vehicle will work.....

delawarebill 03-11-2010 08:52 AM

drum to disc
just wondering if u just went to jeggs or sumitt and ck'd the pricing to do what u want... your going to buy new calip and pads and drums anyways.. and this will give u the adapter plate you'll need too...

wretched ratchet 03-11-2010 08:57 AM

First of all, Welcome to the Forum, and secondly, if you will post this question in the "Steering-Brakes-Suspension" Thread, you will get more viewers than here on the Newbie Thread.

When I changed my '55 to power front disc brakes we used a conversion kit and the cost wasn't that bad either.

327NUT 03-11-2010 10:30 AM

.....or you can go to , they have complete conversions.

prostreet6t9 03-11-2010 10:38 AM


Originally Posted by mikefullwood
i have a 1971 chevelle with drum brakes. i want to change with disc brakes what vehicle will work.....

Pull off your spindle and have a machine shop mill off the anchor that the top of the shoe sits. Then do a search for a Disc brake caliper mount bracket. I've seen them on Ebay and others. Loaded Calipers and Hub/Rotor's can be bought at your local auto parts store.

eloc431962 03-11-2010 03:11 PM

Welcome to the site, :welcome: I went with SSBC stanless steel brake corperation on my 67 camaro conversion kit, works pretty well you would have to check the prices,JMO


jimfulco 03-11-2010 09:55 PM

The anchor pad has to be shortened by about 5/8" or so. used to sell machined spindles on an exchange basis, but I don't know if they still do.

'68-'74 Nova spindles and brake parts will swap, but don't use Nova steering arms on a Chevelle.

alittle1 03-12-2010 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You may want to drop that high flying front end a couple of inches also, so look at some dropped spindles (2") that usually come in the kit also. Look at Jegs and Summit on line. Or MP Brakes (Master Power Brakes)

fast68 03-14-2010 04:41 AM

any gm mid sized car with the same steering tie rod locations will work

front steer or rear steer

whichever it has

we have a 72 and i forgot which it is and if its even disc or drum

its a gold with black stripes SS with BB and 4 speed,, so its probably disc,,,

its sitting out back rotting away into the ground again though....

its so far gone already that i dont even look at it anymore.
needs virtually all sheetmetal replaced except for like one door and maybe one fender possibly..

too bad...

i know someone with a '68 sbc 4 speed one he drives it all the time and theres a few more around these days, its crazy to see around each summer, just so uncommon...


good luck!

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.