Disc change over 37 buick - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004, 09:58 AM
GreaseMonkey

Wiki Edits: 0

Disc change over 37 buick

I just purchased a totally restored 37 buick, 2 dr, trunkback sedan. Minor problem! Babbit rod is knocking, solution install 350 engine and update it all. I purchased a good running 85 chevy van, 350 with AOD trans, plan on installing it in the 37 buick. I want to upgrade the front brakes, I want to install the van spindles and hubs to keep the 5 on 5 bolt pattern. does anyone know if the spindle on this van is basically the same as the large GM cars that would carry the 5 on 5 bolt pattern. I think I can use the existing lower A-arm and install the chev ball joint to it. I plan on building a mustang II type top hat and using that upper arm and then using the chev ball joint. The van rear end is two wide for the car so I think a S10 rearend might the the appropriate wideth. The buick has closed drive shaft so rear will have to be changed. I want to run the 5 on 5 pattern so I can can quickly change from orginal style wide whites to modern wheels and tires dependig on show I am going to visit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Knowledge base

The disk brake conversions have been covered quite a bit in the knowledge base..

I would suggest checking that out first and then seeking some clarification if needed..

Welcome to the board

OMT
Old 12-10-2004, 05:47 PM

I just put van/pickup 5on5 hubs and rotors on 57 Buick spindles, standard bearings and seals. Fit perfectly. I am having a bit of a clearance problem with the origional stock rims and the calipers.The step in the old rims for demounting rubs the edge of the caliper.I'm thinkingI may have to go to a 16" rim.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:39 AM
GreaseMonkey

JCarter, Thanks for the reply, hey what kind of car is that on your logon name, looks similar to my 37 buick trunkback.

Well, this may not apply to you but may assist others in looking for donor information. I spent the saturday looking at rear ends i the wrecking yard, I was needing a rear-end that was 60 inches from wheel bolt surface to wheel bolt surface. And I wanted 5 0n 5 bolt pattern. After spending three hours measuring things the only thing that was close was 84 cadillac seville rear disc, it measured 61.5 it might have worked except the inboard calipers were possibly sticking in too far to clear the rear springs. I settled on a 90 GMC 4x4 rear out of one of those tahoe things. The rear is about 60 inches dead on. I will have to either use the 4 and 3/4 paterrn or redrill to 5 on 5. Lots of people on line at other websites told me to use the S10 rear. problem is that measured 56 inches bolt surface to bolt surface.

thanks for the single response, and if anyone can find anything in the knowldege base that helps me more let me know, I spent two days printing and reading everything that might apply.

later rg
Old 12-13-2004, 12:28 PM

The car in the logon is a 39 Chevy, close to the same basic body as your's. I'm working on it as well, a longer term project, so when the 57 I mentioned in my first post came along,I couldn't resist,neither could my wife, and thats a good thing. On my 39, I used a Nova rearend, 59" I think, and was just about identical to the origional for width.If I were you I would go with Chevy bolt pattern. You will want to put a better font end under it to, so it is easier than with 5 on 5.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.