Hot Rod Forum banner

Disc swap questions.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Wmarden 
#1 ·
I am considering swapping the drums on my 71 cutlass for disc brakes up front. I am debating 11 or 12 icnh front discs. The twelves have better stopping power. The 11s fit more wheels with less clearance issues. I would prefer a stock stance over a lowered stance. I know I need to do more research, but I figure I would start here.

I have printed out one very detailed website about the 12 inch swap. He ran into clearance issues with 16 inch wheels and really I don't want to go to 17s. Now it might be possible that with a different tire and wheel combination 16 inch wheels might avoid this. Honestly I would rather run 15 inch wheels, so 11s might work there. But is the increase in stopping power worth the trouble of putting in 12 inch brakes and the bigger wheels/tires?

Basically I am trying to nail down the brake issue so I know what wheels and tires to start looking for. Trying to figure out everything before I start buying stuff.

On wheels I prefer a classic look. Either torque thrust type or maybe the center line type wheels that have holes in the middle. I don't really like the modern looking wheels. Maybe even stock looking wheels. I have been looking at summit's website and seen a few I like and that are a decent price. And of course there are some available locally. But I can't really pick wheels until I know what the brakes will demand space wise. But there is room for compromise on either the brakes or wheels.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most guys do the 11" swap for the reasons you have identified. Additionally, the larger 12" discs preclude the use of some of the wheels with deeper back spacing.

Also be aware that your front end will be 1 1/2" wider after you do the brake swap because the disc system is that much wider (3/4" on each side) so you will loose some wheel to fender well clearance.

#3 ·
Thanks for a response. I was leaning toward the 11s just because I don't want to have to fight the wheels and wheelwell. Do you think I should go with 16 inch wheels? Or could I try and get 15s to fit? I imagine the 15s with the 11 inch discs would have much the same issues as the 16s with 12 inch discs. So 16in wheels would probably be the easiest to get working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.