Disconnecting Original Wire Harness - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Thoughts
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Disconnecting Original Wire Harness

I am new to the car restoration world and have only begun work on my 70 Nova 307 and may have plenty of questions so please bear with me. I will try to use the FAQ first and I am waiting for some reference books to show up as well.
I am trying to disconnect the wire harness from the firewall in the engine compartment so I can replace it when I get the new harness. The harness goes into a block on the firewall and I have removed the 1 center bolt (engine side) and the 2 screws underneath the dash at the fuse box. This block will not come apart. Am I missing something or this being stubborn because it is all original and hard to pull apart?
It looks like I will have to remove the radiator top support and or grill to install the light harness across the front of the car. any suggestions?
I really appreciate it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 06:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynovacane
I am trying to disconnect the wire harness from the firewall in the engine compartment so I can replace it when I get the new harness. The harness goes into a block on the firewall and I have removed the 1 center bolt (engine side) and the 2 screws underneath the dash at the fuse box. This block will not come apart. Am I missing something or this being stubborn because it is all original and hard to pull apart?
The center bolt on the engine side of the firewall should let you pull that plug out of the socket on the back of the fuse panel. Sealer was use when this was installed in the firewall and over the last 37 years that sealer has probably stuck the two parts together. Keep trying.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

BEFORE, you go any further, STOP!!

Get out your Digi camera, and snap tons of pictures..Even if you think they don't matter..take them..

Commit those to a Hard drive on your computer AS well as printing them out..WHEN it becomes time to put it all back again..you'll be GLAD you did..

SECOND, get out your note pad and pen..write down as much as you can see..harness destinations , colors or wires in sub groups, and ANYTHING out of the ordinary..Scan, Commit, and print those also.

On Harness Pass through's..look closely, factory put a "Knot" in the tape, then sealed the plugs with a Waterproof, dust and vapor proof glue..

VERY CAREFULLY, start at the block, with a hobby knife, and "Trim" the tape away from the block and harness..don't cut wires!..

If that does not help..scrape the connecting ends with the hobby knife..the glue should yield..Don't worry if you scrape it up and need to reuse it, a small amount of Acetone on a rag will restore it smooth again..

Doc
Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

also tag and bag EVERYTHING that comes off the car. i use sandwich and the bigger bags, boxes of 50 for a couple of bucks at wallyworld. all bolts, nuts, small parts go in bags. example, removing wiring harness, take all attaching screws, bolts, brackets and toss them in a bag and write on a peice of paper and toss it in the bag. if you think you might forget where a particular peice goes stick a piece of nasking tape on it and write the spifics on it. i am doing a car right now and have 100s of bags and nothing is loose. those 100s of bags will save 100s of hours on reassembly and everything will go back where it belongs right down to the last bolt.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:12 AM

Last journal entry: Engine Thoughts
Last photo:

Harness Issue

Thank you all for the suggestions, I will try tonight. I have pic's and bags going already but not the drawings. That is a great idea.
Have a good 1

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.