Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Discussion on Fabbing a fixed window in an A
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I don't get the joke. This photo you see of a couple of my A bodies was my back yard around 1980. Do I need a signed, notarized affidavit of my skills? I have been asked before so I can get one from an old customer or something.

This reminds me of a young punk I worked with at the shop. He was a WRX owning Wheelie riding crotch rocket riding speed demon. He LIVED for speed telling everyone how he hit 100 on the way to work thru traffic on the freeway. We all went out for his birthday (boss paid) to a near by indoor Go Cart track, about 8 of us. I was the fastest on the track and blew him away! He was so friggin stunned you could have knocked him over with a feather, he literally was STUNNED. I told him "I didn't get this gray hair sitting on the F-ing couch"! LOLOL, young punk thinks speed demons were just created yesterday? LOLOL

The man asked a question about putting a flush glass in a Model A, I tossed something out there. It is a DISCUSSION on how to pull this off. I KNOW you would have some ideas too, even if you never did it, I have never made a limo either but if a 60 Cad rolled into the shop and I was told to do it, I would go out there and would make it happen. When you are a pro and have fabbed stuff all your life you just MAKE IT HAPPEN. So I was tossing ideas out there.

I have worked on these bodies a lot and know them body pretty well (baring forgetting bits and pieces over the years), I have chopped the top on a few, filled the roof on a few I have picked up that very windshield frame a swap meet and brought it home to fit it. At the time the photo was taken of the A bodies in my back yard I was building my truck in the garage with a 401 Buick mid engine! Yes that is a Nailhead sitting in the cab. I think I can fab a few things for goodness sakes. Around this time I did all the body work and paint on a "resto-rod" Model A coupe (the maroon car in the photo at the show) including a 32 Ford cowl vent and deuce bumpers tucked in a little closer, shortened the stock tail light stands to give it a little cleaner look with a deuce grille shell, it won best in class at the Grand Nationals (a REAL car show) a number of years later after a little detail and clean up! The yellow truck was the first Model A I chopped, 1977.

Now getting back to the window, you need to weld in something that the glass will set on with a bed of urethane tying it together with that piece. The glass is about a quarter inch thick and the bed should be about a quarter inch (or a tad more) thick. So if you want the glass to be flush you need it about a half inch down from the edge of the window opening. You could simply weld a little ledge onto the A pillars and across the top and bottom, the gas tank would have to be permanently welded in I am thinking, but that is usually a given on a hot rod A anyway. The problem across the bottom and the top would be that you need to come up a little with a shelf so there is a flat surface all the way around for the moulding to sit on.

Geeeez I didn't get this gray hair sitting on the F-ing couch! , double

Brian
I love how you can't take a joke-lol Where's the pink bike? Didn't that take home a trophy too?

Martin, don't let things on the net get so personal. I gotta lot of respect for you. you have taught me a lot with just words. Now that you posted those pics you get more of my respect. I agreed with what you said about the channel but had no idea about what glass to use but I always hear that s-10 glass being brought up on line.

Last edited by tech69; 01-13-2013 at 07:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (01-19-2013)