Disk brakes on a 9 inch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2003, 02:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Disk brakes on a 9 inch

Ok, what are yall useing now to put disk on a 9 inch ? I know there are kits, but for a do it your selfer ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2003, 05:28 PM

This is what I do. Get front brake rotors for a '91 town car (they are hats only no hubs) I use late model GM metric calipers '86 Camaro (older fullsize GM calipers will work also just need a diff. bracket) You can make your own or get them from Speedway Motors. You must weld them to the rearend because of the hat offset they won't bolt to the axle tubes. You may need to grind a little bit off of the axle flange to fit in the hat. If you want emergecy brakes you will have to use different calipers $$. I have done 3 cars this way no problems. This is for 4 1/2" bolt pattern if you have 5" you must get rear hats of a ?? Toronado (its been a few years since the 31 spline I did) Hope this makes sense I'm better at doin than explainin

Later, Mark
Old 01-04-2003, 01:06 AM

Smile

Another option is buying a bracket that uses re- drilled GM rotors and late model rear cadillac calipers that have the emergency brake lever on them. Go to EBAY and type in "9 inch ford brakes", there's a guy manufacturing and selling bolt on brackets for this application. He also sells the pre-drilled GM rotors.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

Smile

I made my own rear disc brake setup,a friend had the weld on brackets for mid seventies calipers I copied them used lincoln verseai rotors,another option:Car Quest rotor#5115 90 jeep grand waggoner rear rotors,3in.tall,11in.dia.5-41/2 pattern.Be sure that rotor is flat no axle,ran into minor trouble inside dia.rotor 6 7/16,axle hub 6 3/8 had to do alittle machining inside rotor.Mock axle,and rotor the way its going to be,the brackets may need to be radius some more to be sure pads are completely down over rotors,may be some minor knotching to fit calipers to brackets.
Put everything together,place over rotors,I suggest maybe putting a .005-.010 shim between stationary pad and rotor so not to tight apply air pressure to caliper to snug in place and tack weld in place,I made some gussets used them to from side of brackets to housing,check everything finish welding.Parts America store 7/16-20 to 3/16 hard brake line part #327853 to hookup brake line,be sure to use copper washer,also used small amount of silicone pipe sealant.You will probably have to get longer wheel studs,take out your proportionig valve.I run manual brakes no run for booster I tried a 69 Camaro manual m/c for 4 wheel disc I didn't have enough pressure to work it was 1 1-4 bore went back to small bore m/c works fine, hey in streetrodding what ever works no rules,didn't mean to get lenghthy just trying to help.Also A friend told me silcone brake fluid won't work very good with these pressure switches for brake lights.Hope maybe this helps

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.