distributer caps and rotors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 12:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

distributer caps and rotors

I'm waiting on a brand new distributer to get to me. It's a mopar performance distributer and it will be going into my 360 magnum. I have been looking at caps and rotors and have been trying to decide on who makes the best caps and rotors.
I see that napa sells a performance rotor that is a little bit longer then factory rotors for a better spark and it is made by echlin. Should i be looking at the echlin caps and rotors? I have heard good things about standard motor products ignition parts. I have also heard some say borg warner select makes good caps and rotors and then there is wells and master pro.
Just thought you guys would know from true expierence on who makes the best caps and rotors. I am currently looking at napa echlin or borg warner select or standard motor company. Out of those 3 wich one would be the best choice?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 05:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

In today's electronic world, it seems that most older car electricals/electronics parts are made 'elsewhere' in the world. My choice has been NAPA/Standard or Eichlin lately - a buck or few more, but still decent quality tho, lately, Mexican made
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 PM

Well i talked to the guy that i bought my distributer from, he is also phasing and curving it to my engine. He gets he moparr distributers brand new and takes them apart and makes sure everything is good to go and phases and curves them for the people he sells them too. Anyways i asked him about what cap and rotor to use and he said standard motor products only anything else is un acceptable. He gave me the part numbers to the cap and rotor i need so i'm going to go to a part store see if they can order them for me or i can buy the cap and rotor from the same guy i'm buying the distributer from for 15 bucks for a standard x-series rotor and cap.
Thing is it will take a few days to get to me but whatever... I think i might just order from him. I thought caps nd rotors were pretty much all the same and as long as it was made of brass contacts it'd be alright to run.... But he told me borg warner is in the toilet and that there parts are not as good he said echlin has gone down hill same as wells he said standard motor products is the only stuff he will use on customers rigs because they are of the best quality of all the replacement parts in the auto industry.
I see that taylor makes a cap and rotor for my distributer could get them from summit for 25 bucks. I'd think that taylor would make a descent cap and rotor but i can get the standard cap and rotor for ten bucks cheaper. Has anyone had any problems with borg warner select ignition parts? I am running the borg warner select ignition coil and the borg warner select plug wires.... I had always thought borg warner was the best for replacement parts but according to guy i talked too they suck and standard is better.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 PM

well i discovered for myself the poor qaulity of the borg warner select cap and rotors today. Went to my local oreilly auto parts asked for a cap and rotor for my distributer (the mopar performance distributer) and the dude brings me out a cap and rotor and rings me up for them and it was 17 bucks and thirty five cents.
I opened the box to the cap before i paid for them and noticed it had aluminum contacts and the cap was as light as a feather.... I said hey do you have the borg warner cap with brass contacts??? He said uhhhh i dunno i will go check and i opened the box to the rotor and the end piece of the rotor looked like it had rust all over it, it wasnt brass or aluminum to be honest i dont know what the hell was on the rotor but it looked like a cheapie to say the least and i handed him the rotor and said get me your better rotor too.
So the guy comes back up to the counter with a brass contact borg warner cap and i looked at the button on the inside of the cap and it was as small as a midget skittle and it wasnt much heavier then the cap with aluminum contacts... I then go to check out the rotor he brought out and it looked the exact same as the last one did.... I said you know what these parts are not acceptable to run on my rig i will wait till morning when car quest or napa opens and get a real cap and rotor and walked out.
You may think im exaerating but the distributer cap i bought from car quest about 3 months ago has to wiegh twice as much as the borg warner select cap with brass contacts and the button on the inside of the car quest cap is way bigger and so is the contacts them selves and the rotor i got from car quest 3 months ago is also more heavy duty then the borg warner select rotor and the car quest rotor has shiny brass on the end of it that doesnt look like its been itting out in the rain like the borg warner rotor did.
Another thing that has steered me away from borg wrner select parts, I bought a brand new borg warner select voltage regulator i scraped the paint off my fire wall where i mounted it and i even used toothed washers to put it on and i even ran a pig tail ground wire off one of the bolts that mounts the regulator to the fire wall, so i know this borg warner voltage regulator was grounded. Long story short i fried 2 borg warner select voltage regulators the 1st one fried i got a new one under warranty and the second one fried so i dug around in my old mans garage and found an old wells voltage regulator for chrysler brand new still in the box and this wells voltage regulator says WELLS on it and below that it says made in USA i bolted the wells voltage regulator on after frying my second borg warner select Voltage regulator and it has been running good everything is charging right an workin right ever since i ditched the borg warner voltage regulator. I dont know for sure but to me the borg warner select ignition parts and regulators are junk. I remember hearing that borg warner was a superior ignition parts brand but that must have been some time ago cause i every borg warner part i have ran in the last couple years has been pure garbage. The ignition parts i get from car quest are by far better qaulity.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

A few days ago you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc360
I have also heard some say borg warner select makes good caps and rotors
To today when you say this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc360
well i discovered for myself the poor qaulity of the borg warner select cap and rotors today. I remember hearing that borg warner was a superior ignition parts brand but that must have been some time ago cause i every borg warner part i have ran in the last couple years has been pure garbage.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:29 PM

ya and so????? All i am saying is that some people have said borg warner select is good stuff. So over the last couple years i have decided to run some of the borg warner select parts and i have not had much luck with them.....

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.