Distribution questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2004, 06:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Distribution questions

Hello....i currently am running a dual point dist. in my 66 428 ford (fe) engine and want to upgrade to electronic......i have looked at what is available and im think i want either a mallory unilite or an msd pro-billet....from what i understand the msd work on a magnetic pickup and the mallory on an led.....is there any advantages/disadvantages with these two styles......also....the mallory calls for the use of a ballast resistor...why is this?? i thought they were used only for points systems......and why doesnt msd recommend the use of this.....any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 05:59 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Well this is strictly a matter of opinion but I would definately recommend going with Mallory. When I decided to convert my Mustang over to electronic ignition I originally went with a MSD distributor because I had thought they were the best. Summit Racing sent me two MSD Pro Billit distributors, neither of which I even installed in my engine. I was totally disappointed in the machining quality of their rather expensive distributors. Somewhere in the archives of this forum are the threads I started that discussed the MSD problems. In the interest of customer satifaction Summit sent me a Mallory Unlite distributor, along with a Mallory Coil and Mallory Power Filter to complete the package (and credit to my credit card since the Mallory parts were less than the MSD stuff I originally ordered). I had run Mallory Dual-point distributors for years with good results so it was no surprise when I dropped that Unilite in and fired my baby right up. She's been running trouble free since. I highly recommend using their power filter since the Unilite modules are sensitive. The filter supresses any voltage spikes in the system to protect the module. If you look in my gallery one of the pictures shows the harness from the coil to the distributor with a little black plastic box in it, that's the filter. The entire conversion can be wired in a matter of minutes. If I remember correctly I called Mallory's tech line to make sure that I could run the system on my cars factory wiring since it has a resistance wire to the factory coil from the O.E. points system. Most manufacture tech lines are very helpful. I would scrap that dual-point and go electronic, you wont be sorry. As far as why Mallory didn't use a module and coil to run on full ignition voltage, no clue. I have also had the oportunity to talk to other guys running Unilites as well and most were happy. Either way, good luck.

Old 02-20-2004, 05:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Unilites are great distributors. I ran one in my pro-street car for 6 years with no problems. The only thing to consider with any aftermarket distributor is spare parts. If you have a problem on the road not every Napa parts store is going to have what you need. I always carried a spare module with me just in case. Never had to use it, but it gave me piece of mind anyway.

When it comes to the ballast resistor, some electronic units still use them at least up through the 70's or so. Chryslers high performance electronic ignitions used them for quite a while. It might be a carry over since way back Mallory distributors were OEM on Chrysler engines.

Centerline
Old 02-20-2004, 07:14 AM

thanks for all the help.....im going to be ordering a mallory later today!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.