Distributor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Distributor

Hey guys and gals. I have a 1964 f100 with a straight 6 223 in it. The problem irises with the distributer. When I got the truck the distributer was pulled from the engine and sitting in the cab. I have cleaned it up and fixed it all up but I donít know how to put it back in. I know how it fits but I donít think you can just put it in due to the timing of the engine. Please help..

Engine is complete except for distributer.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta-love-Ford View Post
Hey guys and gals. I have a 1964 f100 with a straight 6 223 in it. The problem irises with the distributer. When I got the truck the distributer was pulled from the engine and sitting in the cab. I have cleaned it up and fixed it all up but I donít know how to put it back in. I know how it fits but I donít think you can just put it in due to the timing of the engine. Please help..

Engine is complete except for distributer.
Much of the info here applies to any engine.

Basically, you want to find TDC of cylinder #1. Then orientate the rotor to match up to where terminal #1 of the distributor cap is at. Then wire the cap by the firing order in the correct direction of rotation.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...re5765-180.jpg
Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Bring up the #1 cylinder to the top position. Be sure it is the compression stroke. Both valves closed. You can tell this by removing the spark plug and put your thumb over the spark plug hole to form a tight fit and feel pressure as the piston comes up. Or you can remove the valve cover and watch the valves for that piston #1 closest to the front of the truck. They should both be up. Yiou can crank it around a few times to see how thy operate.
If you have not run this motor in a long time it may be a good idea to spin the oil pump with an old diistributor shaft conected to a drill to get the oil around to everything.
After you gt the #1 piston to TDC on the compresson stroke you can drop the dizzy in. With the dizzy cap off and the rotor in place you want the rotor to be facing the #1 plug wire. It may not be all that important where that is unless you need room to turn the dizzy to fine tune the timing.
Keep posting here until you get it fired. May take several times as even some of the best guys on here get it wrong sometimes. BTDT Luck
Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hey guys, thanks for replying. I took out the sparkplug and found the tdc of the first cylinder and slid in the dizzy in place (Iím barrowing your term Cape Cod Bob)I replaced the sparkplugs, wires and all that jazz and am know trying to figure out all the wiring that runs along the firewall since it was in the cab all hacked up. Iíll try to fire up here soon and post some pics or a video thanks for all the help

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.