10-16-2004, 03:58 PM
To Install your Distributer Properly, Try this:
- Bring your #1 Cylinder up on Compression TDC.
- Timing mark should be TDC
- Both intake and exhaust valves should be closed (slight play in lifters)
- Locate #1 Plug on the cap and set the rotor tang at that position. (mark the distributor Body with a pen at that point so you can see it)
- With the rotor pointing to #1 plug look at the bottom of the Distributor shaft and note the location of the oil pump key slot, using a long slotted Screwdriver set the pump shaft approx. that position.
- Install the distributer. Because of the diagonal Cut of the drive gears, The rotor will turn as you insert it, so figure the distance between the amount of turn, and the line you made on the distributor body and rotate it back that amount, It Should Seat Exactly on #1 on the cap, or very, very close.
After you have that right, Check your Firing order.
The spark plug locations are :
Driver's side front is #1,
Passengers side front is #2:
IE the left side will be 1 3 5 7,
The right side will be 2 4 6 8.
The Stock location of #1 plug on the Cap, should be, about 5 O'clock.
Direction of rotation is Clockwise.
Firing Order is: 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2. (see photo)
If you have this right, It should Fire right off!
Set your Timing with a light, check to see what the setting and at what rpm you need to be at for your engine, And be sure the Vacuum advance line (if so equipped) is removed and the Vacuum line is plugged.
Hope it Helps!
Electronic & Electrical