Distributor computer to non computer (HEI) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 04:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Distributor computer to non computer (HEI)

In the conversion process of my 92' 4.3 Vortec in an S-10 Blazer I have come to a screeching halt... It has no spark! I have installed a #2111 Edlebrock intake, #1404 carburator, Mallory bypass regulator and finally the problem a 1985 Astrovan HEI distributor. The HEI has a connector with 3 wires (Brown, Black and Tan) which I was told plugs into the back plug-in on the cap. I also have a hot wire run to the Batt plug-in in the front of the cap. I have no spark so therefore have to be missing something.... but what!!!! Please help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

this probably isnt going to help you all that much since you probably already checked this stuff... but little things can be monsters. i would check to make sure the module is getting key on power, and power when the the key is on start also. check grounds and wire continuity as well. also check hard parts such as coil and distributor to make sure their all in order. i know just last week i couldnt figure out why i wasnt getting spark, until i realized i leaned on the distributor cap and cocked it to the side so it wasnt contacting the center terminal... only way i found out was that i leaned on it again and it moved back into place ha wish i could be of more help but i dont really know that system very well.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

No spark can be several things. You should check for 12 volts at the big pink Or red wire that you have to the distributor cap. If you have power then you will have to start checking internal components.
The ignition module can be tested at napa, ( they used to be able to,you should call) The pickup coil and the ignition coil you can test with a volt ohm meter.
I have also seen the rotor itself have a burn hole in it where as the spark grounds itself out before it has a chance to get to the cap or wires. Look at the rotor where the carbon contact from the ignition coil touches . underneath should not look all black and discolored.You should look real close. If you cant tell and it doesnt look pretty decent just put one on and try it.they arent real expensiveand they are prone to failure.

Pickup coil resistance should be between 500 and 1200 ohms
Coil primary should be about 1 ohm but not zero or infinite
Secondary should be between 5000 and 20,000 ohms but also no zero or infinite. Good luck
Old 10-27-2010, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have a brand new distributor, cap, rotor, coil.... I have converted from a CPI (spider system) to a carb. I have checked everything over and think the problem lies with the ECM because many sensors are eliminated or not hooked up. Specifically the old computerized distributor wires bother me. I have only a hot wire to the HEI distributor there has to be something telling the ECM to not fire. Please help!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If you have the distributor with the coil in cap...and you have eliminated the fuel injectors (spider,correct) then it should run.
Are you sure there is still no spark?The computer wont matter if your distributor has a vacuum chamber(diaphram) and advance weights inside.
Wich distributor do you have?very important.Maybe you can post a pic
Old 10-28-2010, 10:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Since you have eliminated the EFI and the computer controlled distributor, the ECU should have nothing to do with this. Does the vehicle have a VATS antitheft system? If you are using the stock wire to power the HEI, that might be the problem.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
If you have the distributor with the coil in cap...and you have eliminated the fuel injectors (spider,correct) then it should run.
Are you sure there is still no spark?The computer wont matter if your distributor has a vacuum chamber(diaphram) and advance weights inside.
Wich distributor do you have?very important.Maybe you can post a pic
I have an HEI from an 85' Astrovan with the vacum pod.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

well then it should have spark and should run.Did you check everything in the distributor to make sure it is OK.( Just because it is new dont mean nothing)
With that distributor and a carb the ecm does nothing here. Forget about it.
as long as there is power to the distributor it should spark. Do you have sufficient ground wiring for the engine?
Old 12-01-2012, 07:16 PM

4.3 Astro HEI distributor

I just pulled an 85 Astro Van 4.3. (carbureator and HEI) I was worried about the wiring because I plan to install the engine in another vehicle. When I unplugged the 4 wire connector going to the distributor the engine died. It obviously won't run without doing something to these wires. I am hoping a jumper between the correct two will allow the engine to run, but I haven't figured it out yet either.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Jump wire the A connection to the C connection at the 4 pin connector on the distributor. That will make it run without having a computer hooked to it.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.