Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Distributor confusion
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 PM

Last journal entry: Old guy's low cost Chev coup.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Distributor confusion

I recently came by a 3.1L (1991) firebird engine and thought "Hey this would drop right into my '39 coupe with room to spare, and solve a lot of space related issues v/s sbc. Then I got looking at it close, and see two (2) problems right off. First one is simple, but probably too steep for my budget. That be the intake and fitting it out for a carburetor. The other issue is the distributor. I am used to and familiar with a distributor that is its own timing and firing. I'm told this one has a sensor that tells a cumputer which cylinder to fire on. But that don't make any sense cause the distr has a rotor that directs the fire. I called Summit to see if they could push me in the right direction here, but their tech line was backed up till New Years. Anybody got some words of wisdom they can drop on me? Some Ideas on the carburation would be helpful also, as i am seriously considering scrapping this V6 idea and shoe horning my 350 in there. Thank you for any help/non-help/ideas, and ridicule would indicate at least someone is paying attention, and that doesn't happen a lot here in my little world.