Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Modern Electronic Engines (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/modern-electronic-engines/)
-   -   Distributor confusion (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/distributor-confusion-225788.html)

fasteddy_1947 11-05-2012 10:04 PM

Distributor confusion

I recently came by a 3.1L (1991) firebird engine and thought "Hey this would drop right into my '39 coupe with room to spare, and solve a lot of space related issues v/s sbc. Then I got looking at it close, and see two (2) problems right off. First one is simple, but probably too steep for my budget. That be the intake and fitting it out for a carburetor. The other issue is the distributor. I am used to and familiar with a distributor that is its own timing and firing. I'm told this one has a sensor that tells a cumputer which cylinder to fire on. But that don't make any sense cause the distr has a rotor that directs the fire. I called Summit to see if they could push me in the right direction here, but their tech line was backed up till New Years. Anybody got some words of wisdom they can drop on me? Some Ideas on the carburation would be helpful also, as i am seriously considering scrapping this V6 idea and shoe horning my 350 in there. Thank you for any help/non-help/ideas, and ridicule would indicate at least someone is paying attention, and that doesn't happen a lot here in my little world. :confused:

123pugsy 11-19-2012 05:04 PM

Stick with the 350 and enjoy your rod.

You'll end up extremely disappointed with a small motor in a big ol car.

cobalt327 11-19-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasteddy_1947 (Post 1607759)
I recently came by a 3.1L (1991) firebird engine and thought "Hey this would drop right into my '39 coupe with room to spare, and solve a lot of space related issues v/s sbc. Then I got looking at it close, and see two (2) problems right off. First one is simple, but probably too steep for my budget. That be the intake and fitting it out for a carburetor. The other issue is the distributor. I am used to and familiar with a distributor that is its own timing and firing. I'm told this one has a sensor that tells a cumputer which cylinder to fire on. But that don't make any sense cause the distr has a rotor that directs the fire. I called Summit to see if they could push me in the right direction here, but their tech line was backed up till New Years. Anybody got some words of wisdom they can drop on me? Some Ideas on the carburation would be helpful also, as i am seriously considering scrapping this V6 idea and shoe horning my 350 in there. Thank you for any help/non-help/ideas, and ridicule would indicate at least someone is paying attention, and that doesn't happen a lot here in my little world. :confused:

A Buick 3.8L or 4.3L Chevy is the smallest V6's I would consider- and when all's said and done a SBC will be cheaper and have more oats.

In any event, Edelbrock made a 4-barrel intake for the 2.8l V6 but I have no idea if it could be made to work on the 3.1L.

As long as the distributor has a magnetic pickup, you could use an MSD ignition.

fasteddy_1947 11-20-2012 07:31 PM

ditributor confusion

Thanks guys. This one am going to go with the good advice. Am already figuring how to get rid of the 3.1, and have started prepping the frame for the 350. I know the SBC, so it will be more fun working with something I know something about. the V6 was new to me. It would quickly learn some new words. I don't particularly care for them electronic controlled engines either. Hear all kinds of horror stories, like: "Can I run my new hemi in my scout without changing the computer pickup tubes in the gremlich confabulation sensor?". hearing stuff like that waves me off, but figured engine is engine, just got to get the right parts and pieces to make it run w/o computer. I just don't think I want to invest the time and $ to find and get the stuff and put it together when got perfrectly good 350 sbc. Thanks for the info and the advice. When I don't have anything else to do, (like that will ever happen), might build a frame and make go-cart outa the V-6, unless one of y'all wants it. Later, and Thank you again. :D