Distributor curving - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 03:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Distributor curving

Engine is a 392 FRPP stroker, with a Mighty Demon annular booster 750, Weiand Stealth dual plane, GT40 ali heads etc. I have changed the cam the crate engine came with for a more mild duration, 221/229 at .050 with LSA of 112.
The motor runs well, but I'm getting some pre-ignition under heavy load. I have initial timing set at 12º, with all-in at 34º at around 3000rpm. Distributor is an MSD billet, and I suspect I need to change springs to a more suitable curve. How do I go about this - is it just trial and error, maybe with a dyno session?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289
Engine is a 392 FRPP stroker, with a Mighty Demon annular booster 750, Weiand Stealth dual plane, GT40 ali heads etc. I have changed the cam the crate engine came with for a more mild duration, 221/229 at .050 with LSA of 112.
The motor runs well, but I'm getting some pre-ignition under heavy load. I have initial timing set at 12º, with all-in at 34º at around 3000rpm. Distributor is an MSD billet, and I suspect I need to change springs to a more suitable curve. How do I go about this - is it just trial and error, maybe with a dyno session?
12 initial will be ok if you run manifold vacuum to the vacuum can.
With those heads your total mechanical probably needs to be about 30-31*.
I think you need to reduce the amount of centrifugal advance from 22 to about 18 and then try it with the same springs.
With part throttle high wacuum and low load your total should come in around 45-48*.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:51 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Should have left the old cam in. It was matched to the static CR. With a milder cam with wider lobe sep you probably have a bunch more cranking pressure. Doesnt make sense to me to go with a milder cam and then kill the power further by raking back timing.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

Timing question

Distributor Tuning and Theory - Part 1

http://www.gofastnews.com/board/tech...implified.html

I'm not talking about cutting the timing back, but recurving.

Last edited by ScoTFrenzel; 07-27-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,063 Times in 882 Posts
WOW ScoTFrenzel, thanks for the links. If I couldn't figure it out after reading all that, I should take up knitting.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
WOW ScoTFrenzel, thanks for the links. If I couldn't figure it out after reading all that, I should take up knitting.
http://www.learntoknit.com/instructions_kn.php3

Just in case
Old 07-27-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289
Go into the MSD site and in the support section they will have a download for the distributor install and tuning. You wll see the selection of springs that should have been included with the distributor and the color combinations needed to slow the rate of advance down. What you need to do is likely remove one of the springs and replace with a heavier, slower advancing, one. Very simple operation.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Put better gas in it.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
Put better gas in it.
I'm already using what's sold here as 98 octane super-unleaded - nothing better available!

This cam has made the car much more driveable than it was before. Pick-up is smoother, idle is smoother and there seems to be pretty good power there. I need to get into this distributor to chase the over-advance as the pinging won't be doing any good, even with initial at 12-14.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Does it ping when you leave the vacuum advance disconnected and drive it?
(testing purposes) Is the vacuum advance adjustable?
In what different driving mode(s) does it ping? what different driving modes (transistions)
does it ping and not ping? Hook up a vacuum gause to manifold vacuum so that you can watch the gauge while driving. You wnat o to know and remeber at what load points ( throttle position,rpm and vacuum guage reading causing pinging. eg rolling into the throttle from 2000 to 3000 at x vacuum reading

eg going full throttle from 2500 rpm cruise (vacuum reading)

eg mashing the throttle from and idle

eg high speed comming off full throttle and suddenly right back on full throttle

When cruising along at speed limit on the hiway in high gear, what is the tach rpm and vacuum gauge reading? eg i have 18" vacuum at 100KPH at 2200rpm Does the engine surge or buck or ??? at any speed/rpm/vacuum gauge or particular driving mode?

With just centrifical advance not vacuum advance using a timing light at what rpm does the advance start climbing as you rev the motor in neutral. How much advance at 2000rpm, at what rpm does the advance reach its max point 2500,3000,3500,4000 or higher?

The centrifical and vacuum advance rate in/out and vacuum adv limit stop must be balanced.
usually the light springs/fast centrifical all in by 2500rpm is too fast.
A smoother curve with more initial but less advance slope peaking at around 3300-3500 rpm is better. Combine with a smooth vacuum advance controled by ported vacuum and limited to around 10-12-15deg max at high vacuum cruise.
The new cam with less valve timing and overlap lacks the exhaust reversion effect at low engine speed (egr effect) combined with higher in cylinder combustion pressure/temps that before allowd/ required a very agressive low rpm timing curve rate. So you got to tame down the timing curve.
cooler hat range spark plugs will help. richer main jets will help (1-2 jet sizes) if you get pinging at heavy throttle/high load/low vacuum guage readings.
a power valve opening point value change my be needed.
Need to know which driving modes/load/rpms/vacuums cause pinging and which do not.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 07-28-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Curving Instructions For MSD Billet Distributor.

Only if you have the advance kit.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
Does it ping when you leave the vacuum advance disconnected and drive it?
(testing purposes) Is the vacuum advance adjustable?
In what different driving mode(s) does it ping? what different driving modes (transistions)
does it ping and not ping? Hook up a vacuum gause to manifold vacuum so that you can watch the gauge while driving. You wnat o to know and remeber at what load points ( throttle position,rpm and vacuum guage reading causing pinging. eg rolling into the throttle from 2000 to 3000 at x vacuum reading

eg going full throttle from 2500 rpm cruise (vacuum reading)

eg mashing the throttle from and idle

eg high speed comming off full throttle and suddenly right back on full throttle

When cruising along at speed limit on the hiway in high gear, what is the tach rpm and vacuum gauge reading? eg i have 18" vacuum at 100KPH at 2200rpm Does the engine surge or buck or ??? at any speed/rpm/vacuum gauge or particular driving mode?

With just centrifical advance not vacuum advance using a timing light at what rpm does the advance start climbing as you rev the motor in neutral. How much advance at 2000rpm, at what rpm does the advance reach its max point 2500,3000,3500,4000 or higher?

The centrifical and vacuum advance rate in/out and vacuum adv limit stop must be balanced.
usually the light springs/fast centrifical all in by 2500rpm is too fast.
A smoother curve with more initial but less advance slope peaking at around 3300-3500 rpm is better. Combine with a smooth vacuum advance controled by ported vacuum and limited to around 10-12-15deg max at high vacuum cruise.
The new cam with less valve timing and overlap lacks the exhaust reversion effect at low engine speed (egr effect) combined with higher in cylinder combustion pressure/temps that before allowd/ required a very agressive low rpm timing curve rate. So you got to tame down the timing curve.
cooler hat range spark plugs will help. richer main jets will help (1-2 jet sizes) if you get pinging at heavy throttle/high load/low vacuum guage readings.
a power valve opening point value change my be needed.
Need to know which driving modes/load/rpms/vacuums cause pinging and which do not.
I will start getting into these investigations just as soon as I've sorted out the steering, which has gone all heavy on me (not sure why - no p/s, so out with the alignment gauges).

I have the MSD instructions and the spring kit for this distributor so will investigate further.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.