Hot Rod Forum banner

Distributor gear wear.

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  enginejr 
#1 ·
Hi guys, i rebuilt the engine in my camaro about a year ago, and have put about 3-5k miles on it since, my question is about the distributor gear and it's abnormal wearing.

I pulled the distributor out a couple days ago to seal up a leak between it and the intake manifold, all went well. Except when i inspected the distributor gear it appeared to have significant wear on it, it's worn down about half of the gear on it. I know this is not normal and was wondering if there is some sort of fix for it, besides just replacing the gear all the time.

The distributor gear was not replaced when i rebuilt the engine, idk how many miles are on the dizzy either. Is there some sort of spacer or something that goes between the dizzy and intake manifold that i should know about.

New parts include the mellings m55 oilpump and summit k1102 cam.

#8 ·
This explains shims in between the gear drive and the housing, i was thinking shims inbetween the int. mani. and the dist.

I remember now that there was more damage on the dizzy, it appears as if the rotor is moving up and hitting the cap, there are plastic shavings embedded on the metal of the rotor. is this suspect?

#9 ·
You can buy a shim kit for the distributer, its from moroso. they go under the gasket. Or you could do it the circle track way and stack dist. gaskets. difficult to explain, but you dont want the dist. to rock in the bore, if that makes sense. stack gaskets under it until it does not rock back and forth, without the clamp on. if you have 50 off the heads and 20 off the block it usally 5 gaskets. As for the shavings, the shaft must walk up and down a fair amount to do that. but forcing the gear into the cam will force the rotor up as well. you should have about 50 clearance ( lash ) to the housing, you can shim that with 7/16 or half inch washers. Dont throw away the retianer washer ( very top shim with the tabs ) it is important to reuse it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.