Distributor installed correctly???? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Dots

Doc here

What your seeing I believe is the SAME optical illusion I saw...

I downloaded your picture and ran it through Paint Shop pro7 and blew it up like 20 times..and measured with a straight edge..in the photo they line up..when you reduce it the cam dot looks like its off to the left...

Try this if you can..get a laser level laser pen, and shoot a line between the two, if it falls between the center of the two , it can be nothing but lined up..

What concerns me more than that is the gears , especially the left gear show excessive signs of wear, the edges are worn and the teeth don't look to me like their meshing properly, AND the gap at the right seems too be to wide (another sign of wear and backlash..)

In addition to that the massive amount of metal dust around the block area!! (unless that's a product of digi photography..you NEED to get that crap out of there...spotless! then new filter and oil, run a few minutes and change both again..That stuff CAN eat the rotating mass and cam bearings ALIVE!

Clean it good get the bone and gears, do the oil and filter thing, and you should be all good..

Doc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Mean Mother USA

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Still Readen All Posts...

10-08-05

Readen All Posts!

MeanMotherUSA

Last edited by Mean@MeanMother.Com; 10-08-2005 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Mean Mother USA

Last photo:

Electrician That Knows It All...

10-08-05

Hey77-You Keep Your Asinined Comments To Yourself...

MeanMotherUSA
Old 10-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

You can get a complete new gear drive set from Jegs They have a cheap one for $99.99, a Edelbrock for $159, and a Pete Jackson for $142.99. Judgeing by the gear wear etc. in the pics I think you need to do as DocVette says...clean everything up spotless , replace the complete geardrive, and change the oil and filter ASAP and hope that your cam bearings etc are not already damaged from all the metal particles.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:32 PM
mrtimstik

Last photo:

I believe what is being perceived as metal particles is actually the block casting reflecting the camera flash. I went in there and wiped the area down with a clean cotton cloth and came up with no metal dust, just some gasket flecks that stuck on the thin film of oil that's there when I removed the gasket. I think I'm good there. A new gear drive is not in my budget currently so I am going to remake the worn out dogbones from a slightly tougher alloy steel and put it all back together. Been in a tool room of one kind or another for 23 years. I feel confident the image I posted might highlight certian surfaces that give the impression of wear on the gears but when I look closely at the engagement surfaces of the tooth profile it really looks fine. Thank you very much guys for the comments, I do appreciate them.
MeanMother, I ordered a vacuum gauge today to get a perspective on your idea. I will try it along with the timing light and educate myself. Thanks for the comments.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean@MeanMother.Com
10-08-05

Hey77-You Keep Your Asinined Comments To Yourself...

MeanMotherUSA
Allright, I'll keep my comments to myself as long as you quit giving bad advice. If someone calls you on your bad advice, proves why it is bad advice, and gives correct advice, don't jump all over their a s s.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:18 AM

Last photo:

Why not go back with a dobble roller chain.It is alot cheeper. this is not a race car is it, or do you like the sound it makes thanks steve
Old 10-09-2005, 08:44 AM
mrtimstik

Last photo:

Hey Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I really do like the sound, and check out the cardomain page and see the profile on it's set-up. I like to think it's a radical street car that is just as comfortable at the track. Now, if I can get it back together this year (Lokar throttle/700R4 cable install) I'll post some numbers. Again thank you for your input. Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesauto
Why not go back with a dobble roller chain.It is alot cheeper. this is not a race car is it, or do you like the sound it makes thanks steve
Old 10-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluciano77
Do not time your spark for the most vacuum. You will most likely detonate and destroy your engine.

Always check with an accurate timing light. Timing lights can be inacurate by as 10o.

You need to verify exact timing in order to tune properly. An advance analyzing timing light can do this along with a tach.

A distributor can not be off by a tooth. There are no teeth to be off by. Timing is determined by the phasing of the rotor. You can drop a distributor 180o out and simply change the wires 180o and be back in tune.
Im glad someone else sees thing the same as me. The dist can be put in in any positon and made to work. This is not the correct way to do it and will totally screw the next guy if he changes wires based on where the distributor is supposd to be.
I also agree that timing lights are made for a reason, and at least provide a good "known" starting point of reference for setting timing. I think everyone at one time or another has set timing by ear but I still dont recoment it!
YThe problem in this thread would never have been noticed if he diddnt check the timing with a light.
just my $.02
Old 10-12-2005, 07:55 PM
mrtimstik

Last photo:

Bought up a pile o stuff

Will install the new parts soon. Made some myself also. Gear drive broke and threw everything off alot. Replacing everything with the best I could find, in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0005_2.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	7317   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0001_3.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	7318   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0003_3.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	7319  
Old 10-18-2005, 08:29 PM
mrtimstik

Last photo:

Back together and all seems fine

Got it all back together tonight and all seems well. Thank you all for the help and insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	da shot.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	7395  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.