Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   distributor not seating properly on intake(sbc) (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/distributor-not-seating-properly-intake-sbc-174176.html)

84CHEVYSWB 03-08-2010 07:08 PM

distributor not seating properly on intake(sbc)

i have a 350 sbc with an edelbrock victor jr air gap intake and an aftermarket distributor, i believe its a pro comp electric brand. the issue i have is that the distributor is not seating properly. i have double gasketed it and it is still leaking oil from around there. does anyone have a solution to this before i go out and buy new distributor.

thanks in advance

crussell85 03-08-2010 07:33 PM

did you have a different distributor in this before this one. Did it seat properly? Did you put a new oil pump or oil pump shaft in? I had trouble getting my distributor to seat this last time I put it in and after about half hour with it in and out and getting mad at it, I rolled the engine over one full revolution and brought number 1 back to tdc and the damned thing dropped right it.

32Essex 03-08-2010 07:39 PM

Has the block been decked, Heads been resurfaced? Is the distributor fully seated or setting above the intake after it drops into the oil pump? You may need a distributor with a slip collar, or have someone make you an aluminum shim to take up the difference.

84CHEVYSWB 03-08-2010 08:00 PM

i did have a different distributor in it but bought a hotter one. the heads were surfaced and the block was decked and honed. i have it in as far as it will go. it fires right up and runs good except that it leaks oil from there.

ericnova72 03-08-2010 08:17 PM

I believe Moroso (or Mr Gasket) makes a shim kit for this, it is a group of Nylon/Teflon shims/washers that look just like the distributor base gasket. Stack up what you need and then add a gasket.

You could also alter the distributor to use an adjustable collar as has been mentioned, MSD sells one just for this purpose. Requires the current collar be machined off the housing and the adjustable collar added.

Are you sure the oil is coming from the distributor base?? Not the back of the intake or the oil pressure sender port??

cobalt327 03-08-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84CHEVYSWB
i did have a different distributor in it but bought a hotter one. the heads were surfaced and the block was decked and honed. i have it in as far as it will go. it fires right up and runs good except that it leaks oil from there.

No sweat. Run down and get a Mr. Gasket #720-6059 (Jegs) Distributor Shim Kit For Chevy V8- these go between the dist and intake, nylon for milled heads/intake. $5.99/kit.